Coelioxys

  • Matthias Buck
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20, 2006
      Hi bee aficionados,

      I am not really a bee expert (I specialize more in aculeate wasps) so
      please forgive me if I am asking any stupid questions. Sam: You did not
      mention whether this character was for males or females so I assume it
      works for both.

      Identifying Coelioxys from Ontario with Mitchell my main problem was
      that everything seemed to come out as C. atlantica. Obviously there were
      several species (and I did not have any males that keyed to atlantica!).
      Was all that my mistake or does Mitchell's female key not work properly?
      What keys do the experts recommend for Coelioxys from our area?

      Cheers,

      Matthias

      Dr. Matthias Buck, Curator
      Insect Collection
      Dept. of Environmental Biology
      University of Guelph
      Guelph, Ontario
      Canada, N1G 2W1
      E-mail: mbuck@...
      Phone: (519) 824-4120 ext.: 52582
      Fax: (519) 837-0442
      www.uoguelph.ca/debu/people.htm
    • John S. Ascher
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20, 2006
        The heading of Sam's email suggests that his characters apply for males.
        Female sayi are in most cases easily distinguished by the protuberances on
        the clypeus.

        C. atlantica is now recognized as a jr. syn. of C. octodentata, a common
        species in Ontario. The most similar species are sayi and rufiventris, of
        which the latter should be particularly common in Ontario. Baker (1975) is
        the definitive reference with updated keys, but Mitchell (1962) is still
        useful, especially the illustrations, if one is aware of Baker's
        synonymies. I find that I can identify most Coelioxys, excepting, e.g.,
        the difficult octodentata vs. sayi problem mentioned by Sam, simply by
        matching specimens with Mitchell's illustrations and then double-checking
        using his key.

        Matthias, if you find very small Coelioxys these will likely be modesta or
        moesta, and those with dark legs could be sodalis or porterae (or perhaps
        funeraria).

        Cheers,
        John

        --
        John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
        Bee Database Project Manager
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 20, 2006
          By "rufiventris" I meant rufitarsis. Sorry for this mistake.

          I am not the first to have problems with the name "rufitarsis", as it was
          originally proposed as "rufitarsus" by Smith, 1854: 271, but was
          subsequently miscited as "rufitarsis" by Dalla Torre, 1896 (and Mitchell,
          1962; Baker). Dalla Torre's spelling was a lapsus and not an emendation,
          as he miscited Smith's original spelling as "rufitarsis". Hurd, 1979,
          cited the original correctly as "rufitarsus" but accepted Dalla Torre's
          "rufitarsis" spelling as valid.

          John

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 20, 2006

            Matthias:

            Ah, I should have mentioned that this was only for males....the females are fairly striaghtfoward to tell apart in these two species (although there are often many mistakes in collections)   See description below:

            Sayi - clypeus clearly indented in the center, the rim forming 2 evenly curved lobes, visible even when hair covers the entire clypeus, the lobes very slightly elevated at their ends above the rest of the surface

            The other species do not have the lobes as mentioned above.

            Its not a wonder you had problems with atlantica as it is now considered to be a synonym of octodentata.

            Sayi is usually the more common species in most areas, but together with octodentata they usually make up about 75% or more of what is captured in any region in the Mid-Atlantic area and likely elsewhere in the East

            I think Rebekah's and my guide to Coelioxys males and females are a big improvement over Mitchell, but we will be doing another round of proofing this summer to make them even more robust.

            http://pick4.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Coelioxys_female

            http://pick4.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Coelioxys_male

            sam

            Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

            Upon a Wasp Chilled with Cold

            The bear that breathes the northern blast
            Did numb, torpedo-like, a wasp
            Whose stiffened limbs encramped, lay bathing
            In Sol's warm breath and shine as saving,
            Which with her hands she chafes and stands
            Rubbing her legs, shanks, thighs, and hands.
            Her pretty toes, and fingers' ends
            Nipped with this breath, she out extends
            Unto the sun, in great desire
            To warm her digits at that fire.
            Doth hold her temples in this state
            Where pulse doth beat, and head doth ache.
            Doth turn, and stretch her body small,
            Doth comb her velvet capital.
            As if her little brain pan were
            A volume of choice precepts clear.
            As if her satin jacket hot
            Contained apothecary's shop
            Of nature's receipts, that prevails
            To remedy all her sad ails,
            As if her velvet helmet high
            Did turret rationality.
            She fans her wing up to the wind
            As if her pettycoat were lined,
            With reason's fleece, and hoists sails
            And humming flies in thankful gales
            Unto her dun curled palace hall
            Her warm thanks offering for all.

                  Lord, clear my misted sight that I
            May hence view Thy divinity,
            Some sparks whereof thou up dost hasp
            Within this little downy wasp
            In whose small corporation we
            A school and a schoolmaster see,
            Where we may learn, and easily find
            A nimble spirit bravely mind
            Her work in every limb: and lace
            It up neat with a vital grace,
            Acting each part though ne'er so small
            Here of this fustian animal.
            Till I enravished climb into
            The Godhead on this ladder do,
            Where all my pipes inspired upraise
            An heavenly music furred with praise.
                  - Edward Taylor

            Matthias Buck <mbuck@...>
            Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            04/20/2006 09:39 AM

            Please respond to
            beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            cc
            Subject
            [beemonitoring] Coelioxys

[...]

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Matthias Buck
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 21, 2006
              Thanks for the clarifications. I should start reading subject headers
              more carefully.

              I will get Baker and give our Coelixys another go. We do have some
              smaller Coelioxys species here as well. All in all about eight
              identified species from Ontario in our collection. We'll see whether
              they are correctly identified.

              I haven't mustered enough courage yet to look at our Nomada.

              Cheers,

              Matthias