Re: [beemonitoring] The Metal Content of Bees

  • Jerry_Freilich@nps.gov
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 13 3:21 PM
      Sam,
      These are fascinating results. We ought to get you to screen a sample of
      bees from here and there. I am also dying to know if other bees in your
      collection have those same approximate values. This sounds like a whole new
      idea!

      Jerry
      __________________________
      Jerry Freilich, Ph.D.
      Research & Research Learning Network Coordinator
      Olympic National Park
      600 E. Park Ave.
      Port Angeles, WA 98362

      Phone: 360-565-3082
      Fax: 360-565-3070
      Cell: 360-477-3338
      Jerry_Freilich@...

      "This is the most beautiful place on earth,
      there are many such places..."
      Edward Abbey
      ___________________________

      Sam Droege
      <sdroege@...> To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      Sent by: cc: (bcc: Jerry Freilich/OLYM/NPS)
      beemonitoring@yaho Subject: [beemonitoring] The Metal Content of Bees
      ogroups.com

      03/13/2007 03:12
      PM AST
      Please respond to
      beemonitoring

      All:

      The lab next door to mine has a new portable x-ray gizmo that takes
      accurate readings of metals from samples. These are usually soil samples,
      but I gave him a batch of surplus dried bees to see what would happen.
      Here are the results.

      Everything is in p.p.m. A "<" symbol indicates that the metal was below
      detection level.

      Antimony <
      Tin <
      Cadmium <
      Silver <
      Strontium <
      Rubidium <
      Lead <
      Selenium <
      Arsenic <
      Mercury <
      Zinc 80.29 +/- 12.26
      Copper <
      Nickel <
      Cobalt <
      Iron 27.21 +/- 27.21
      Manganese <
      Chromium 66.55 +/- 26.39
      Vanadium <
      Titanium <
      Scandium 118.61 +/- 61.19
      Calcium 2327.3 +/- 313.53
      Potassium 19159.42 +/- 859.55

      Some ranges for humans

      Scandium
      Bone/p.p.m: 0.001
      Liver/p.p.m: 0.0004-0.0014
      Muscle/p.p.m: n/a
      Calcium
      Bone/p.p.m: 170000
      Liver/p.p.m: 100-360
      Muscle/p.p.m: 140-700
      Potassium
      Bone/p.p.m: 2100
      Liver/p.p.m: 16000
      Muscle/p.p.m: 16000
      Chromium
      Bone/p.p.m: 0.1-033
      Liver/p.p.m: 0.02-3.3
      Muscle/p.p.m: 0.024-0.84
      Iron
      Bone/p.p.m: 3-380
      Liver/p.p.m: 250-1400
      Muscle/p.p.m: 180
      Zinc
      Bone/p.p.m: 75-170
      Liver/p.p.m: 240
      Muscle/p.p.m: 240

      Not sure what to make of the results, but if anyone had bees nesting on
      contaminated site it would be an interesting comparison. I wonder what is
      going on with the high scandium levels. This is supposed to be very rare
      metal.

      sam

      Sam Droege Sam_Droege@...
      BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
      Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

      The Ungrateful Garden

      Midas watched the golden crust
      That formed over his streaming sores,
      Hugged his agues, loved his lust,
      But damned to hell the out-of-doors

      Where blazing motes of sun impaled
      The serried roses, metal-bright.
      "Those famous flowers," Midas ailed,
      "Have scorched my retina with light."

      This gift, he'd though, would gild his joys,
      Silt up the waters of his grief;
      His lawns a wilderness of noise,
      The heavy clang of leaf on leaf.

      Within, the golden cup is good
      To heft, to sip the yellow mead.
      Outside, in summer's rage, the rude
      Gold thorn has made his fingers bleed.

      "I strolled my halls in golden shift,
      As ruddy as a lion's meat.
      Then I rushed out to share my gift,
      And golden stubble cut my feet."

      Dazzled with wounds, he limped away
      To climb into his golden bed.
      Roses, roses can betray.
      "Nature is evil," Midas said.
      - Carolyn Kizer
    • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 13 8:48 PM
        Hey Sam,

        theres a guy named Jerry Bromenshenk, who has been working on grants from DOD for years, using honey bees to determine the extent of fallout from pollution sources and the like.  The hairs pick up lots of stuff.  And now he's got them learning to sniff for bombs and landmines.  Crazy stuff but it seems to work.  I'm not sure it he has published much of this, he's not the publication type of guy.  But I'll try to find you his web site or e-mail.  No reason it wouldn't be the same for native species.

        Cheers,
        Anita
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14 8:03 AM

          Jerry (and anyone else interested):

          Yes, it would be interesting to see what the variance around this would be.    If you would send me about 40 dried bees (on pins would be fine).  We will do a scan.   We likely will try some additional samples too.  Its likely worth exploration.

          sam

          Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

          The mosquito was heard to complain
          That the Chemist had poisoned his brain