paper straw source

  • David_r_smith@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009

      Hi All,

      As part of National Pollination Week, I will be giving a native bee-backyard habitat presentation at one of our local nurseries.  I would like to incorporate an activity as part of the presentation so that I am not just doing a lot of talking.  I thought having people construct nest tubes with numerous paper straws would be worth considering.  I didn't think wooden nest blocks would work as far as having enough tools and drills.

      Has anyone done something similar?  And one more question, is there a specific website or source for paper straws for nesting bees.  Do any paper straws work?  It is actually hard to find paper straws these days, most are plastic

      Thanks a lot,

      Dave Smith
      U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
      323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
      Flagstaff, AZ  86001
      (928) 226-0614 x 109
      "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen
    • H

      Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009
        Dave- As side note don't forget to point out that some "grubs" [http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KYul09viLg3uh1wUevH7CQ?feat=directlink] turn in to bees [http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5lChjkeYPC2fH9QL7GQR2A?feat=directlink].

        Straws - the USDA Bee Lab in Logan, Ut ordered tens of thousands many years ago. We are still working through our invetory. I do not know of a small order source of paper straws. After die and minimum order charges are considered, small orders of paper straws are cost prohibitive.

        However, ording as a beemonitoing group or a group of institutions could be an option. Also, consider contacting suppliers of the blue orchard bee. They might sell the straws in small batches without the bees.

        All the best,

        --
        HW Ikerd
        Hikerd@...

      • T'ai Roulston
        Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009
          Dave:

          I have had good luck with the paper craft straws known as Artstraws that are available on line from school supply kind of places, like www.unbeatablesale.com or www.dickblick.com. I've gotten diameters from 4mm to .25 inches. They are long so you cut them to your desired length. They are not as sturdy as the commercial ones for bees, but they have been good for me and are really cheap.

          T'ai

          On Jun 4, 2009, at 6:05 PM, David_r_smith@... wrote:

[...]

          T'ai Roulston
          Associate Director Blandy Experimental Farm
          Research Assoc. Prof. Environmental Sciences
          University of Virginia
          400 Blandy Farm Lane
          Boyce, VA 22620
          540 837-1758 ext 276

        • Cane, Jim
          Message 5 of 7 , Jun 8, 2009

            David- our lab was told to remove sources of suppliers from our web site, but Karen Strickler has a very thorough list available at her informative web site:

            http://www.pollinatorparadise.com/Solitary_Bees/Supply.htm#Suppliers_US

            We _do_ have instructions for using different kinds of nesting materials unders ‘Products and Services’ (again, not my choice)…stick nests might serve you well and are easy to make and deploy.

            jim

            James H. Cane

            Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

            tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

            email: Jim.Cane@...

            web pages: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

            http://www.biology.usu.edu/people/facultyinfo.asp?username=jcane