Flower Seed Mixes (UNCLASSIFIED)

  • Smith, Debra A CIV USA IMCOM
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009
      Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
      Caveats: NONE

      Hello,
      Can anyone recommend a seed company that has flower seed mixes
      ready-made or are willing to make a custom seed mix? We are looking to
      establish pollinator gardens in upstate New York and would like a
      convenient source for ordering mixed seeds in bulk. For example, some
      plant species of interest would include:

      Asclepias tuberose (Butterfly Weed) Asclepias incarnate (Red Milkweed)
      Liatris spicata (Blazing Star) Lupinus perennis (Wild Perennial Lupine)
      Coreopsis lanceolata (Lance-leaf Coreopsis) Delphinium ajacis (Wild
      larkspur) Echinacea purpurea (Purple coneflower) Lavatera trimestris
      (Rose mallow) Cynoglossum amabile (Chinese forget me not) Monarda
      citriadora (Lemon mint) Rudbeckia hirta (Black eyed
      susan) Trifolium incarnate (Crimson clover) Penstemon digitalis (Beard
      Tongue) Dianthus barbatus (Sweet William)

      Thanks for any information that you could provide.

      Debbie Smith (formerly Scott)
      U.S.D.A. Forest Service
      Wildlife Biologist

      Fort Drum Fish & Wildlife Management Program
      85 First St W, IMNE-DRM-PWE
      Fort Drum NY 13602-5097
      Office (315) 772-5664
      Cell (315) 777-7270
      Fax (315)772-5974

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009
        Dear Ms. Smith:

        I don't know of any seed mixes but must ask you an important question.  Where do you intend to establish your pollinator garden?  You do realize that you are asking for mixes containing seeds of species not native to North America?  Does New York State have a list of species regarded as noxious weeds?  Delphinium ajacis, Dianthus barbatus. Trifolium incarnatum and C. amabile are all Eurasian in origin.  You don't intend to put this garden near native woodland, do you?

        Peter Bernhardt

      • David_r_smith@fws.gov
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009

          Hi All,

          As part of National Pollination Week, I will be giving a native bee-backyard habitat presentation at one of our local nurseries.  I would like to incorporate an activity as part of the presentation so that I am not just doing a lot of talking.  I thought having people construct nest tubes with numerous paper straws would be worth considering.  I didn't think wooden nest blocks would work as far as having enough tools and drills.

          Has anyone done something similar?  And one more question, is there a specific website or source for paper straws for nesting bees.  Do any paper straws work?  It is actually hard to find paper straws these days, most are plastic

          Thanks a lot,

          Dave Smith
          U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
          323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
          Flagstaff, AZ  86001
          (928) 226-0614 x 109
          "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen
        • H

          Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009
            Dave- As side note don't forget to point out that some "grubs" [http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KYul09viLg3uh1wUevH7CQ?feat=directlink] turn in to bees [http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5lChjkeYPC2fH9QL7GQR2A?feat=directlink].

            Straws - the USDA Bee Lab in Logan, Ut ordered tens of thousands many years ago. We are still working through our invetory. I do not know of a small order source of paper straws. After die and minimum order charges are considered, small orders of paper straws are cost prohibitive.

            However, ording as a beemonitoing group or a group of institutions could be an option. Also, consider contacting suppliers of the blue orchard bee. They might sell the straws in small batches without the bees.

            All the best,

            --
            HW Ikerd
            Hikerd@...

          • T'ai Roulston
            Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009
              Dave:

              I have had good luck with the paper craft straws known as Artstraws that are available on line from school supply kind of places, like www.unbeatablesale.com or www.dickblick.com. I've gotten diameters from 4mm to .25 inches. They are long so you cut them to your desired length. They are not as sturdy as the commercial ones for bees, but they have been good for me and are really cheap.

              T'ai

              On Jun 4, 2009, at 6:05 PM, David_r_smith@... wrote:

[...]

              T'ai Roulston
              Associate Director Blandy Experimental Farm
              Research Assoc. Prof. Environmental Sciences
              University of Virginia
              400 Blandy Farm Lane
              Boyce, VA 22620
              540 837-1758 ext 276

            • Cane, Jim
              Message 7 of 7 , Jun 8, 2009

                David- our lab was told to remove sources of suppliers from our web site, but Karen Strickler has a very thorough list available at her informative web site:

                http://www.pollinatorparadise.com/Solitary_Bees/Supply.htm#Suppliers_US

                We _do_ have instructions for using different kinds of nesting materials unders ‘Products and Services’ (again, not my choice)…stick nests might serve you well and are easy to make and deploy.

                jim

                James H. Cane

                Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

                tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

                email: Jim.Cane@...

                web pages: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

                http://www.biology.usu.edu/people/facultyinfo.asp?username=jcane