The Metal Content of Bees

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 13, 2007

      The lab next door to mine has a new portable x-ray gizmo that takes accurate readings of metals from samples.  These are usually soil samples, but I gave him a batch of surplus dried bees to see what would happen.  Here are the results.

      Everything is in p.p.m.   A "<" symbol indicates that the metal was below detection level.

      Antimony        <
      Tin                <
      Cadmium        <
      Silver                <
      Strontium        <
      Rubidium        <
      Lead                <
      Selenium        <
      Arsenic                <
      Mercury        <
      Zinc                80.29 +/- 12.26
      Copper                <
      Nickel                <
      Cobalt                <
      Iron                27.21 +/- 27.21
      Manganese        <
      Chromium        66.55 +/- 26.39
      Vanadium        <
      Titanium        <
      Scandium        118.61 +/- 61.19
      Calcium                2327.3 +/- 313.53
      Potassium        19159.42 +/- 859.55

      Some ranges for humans

      Scandium
      • Bone/p.p.m: 0.001
      • Liver/p.p.m: 0.0004-0.0014
      • Muscle/p.p.m: n/a
      • Calcium
      • Bone/p.p.m: 170000
      • Liver/p.p.m: 100-360
      • Muscle/p.p.m: 140-700
      • Potassium
      • Bone/p.p.m: 2100
      • Liver/p.p.m: 16000
      • Muscle/p.p.m: 16000
      • Chromium
      • Bone/p.p.m: 0.1-033
      • Liver/p.p.m: 0.02-3.3
      • Muscle/p.p.m: 0.024-0.84
      • Iron
      • Bone/p.p.m: 3-380
      • Liver/p.p.m: 250-1400
      • Muscle/p.p.m: 180
      • Zinc
      • Bone/p.p.m: 75-170
      • Liver/p.p.m: 240
      Muscle/p.p.m: 240

      Not sure what to make of the results, but if anyone had bees nesting on contaminated site it would be an interesting comparison.  I wonder what is going on with the high scandium levels.  This is supposed to be very rare metal.

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      The Ungrateful Garden

      Midas watched the golden crust
      That formed over his streaming sores,
      Hugged his agues, loved his lust,
      But damned to hell the out-of-doors

      Where blazing motes of sun impaled
      The serried roses, metal-bright.
      "Those famous flowers," Midas ailed,
      "Have scorched my retina with light."

      This gift, he'd though, would gild his joys,
      Silt up the waters of his grief;
      His lawns a wilderness of noise,
      The heavy clang of leaf on leaf.

      Within, the golden cup is good
      To heft, to sip the yellow mead.
      Outside, in summer's rage, the rude
      Gold thorn has made his fingers bleed.

      "I strolled my halls in golden shift,
      As ruddy as a lion's meat.
      Then I rushed out to share my gift,
      And golden stubble cut my feet."

      Dazzled with wounds, he limped away
      To climb into his golden bed.
      Roses, roses can betray.
      "Nature is evil," Midas said.
            - Carolyn Kizer
    • nancy lee adamson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 13, 2007
        Thanks, Sam.  That is wild.  I enjoy the poems you include.  Here's one about honey.  Nancy

        Honey by Robert Morgan (1944- )

        Only calmness will reassure
        the bees to let you rob their hoard.
        Any sweat of fear provokes them.
        Approach with confidence, and from
        the side, not shading their entrance.
        And hush smoke gently from the spout
        of the pot of rags, for sparks will
        anger them. If you go near bees
        every day they will know you.
        And never jerk or turn so quick
        you excite them.  If weeds are trimmed
        around the hive they have access
        and feel free. When they taste your smoke
        they fill themselves with honey and
        are laden and lazy as you
        lift the lid to let in daylight.
        No bee full of sweetness wants to
        sting. Resist greed. With the top off
        you touch the fat gold frames, each cell
        a hex perfect as a snowflake,
        a sealed relic of sun and time
        and roots of many acres fixed
        in crystal-tight arrays, in rows
        and lattices of sweeter latin
        from scattered prose of meadow, woods.

        From A Book of Luminous Things: An International Anthology of Poetry , edited and with an introduction by Czeslaw Milosz, winner of the Nobel Prize for literature.

      • Jerry_Freilich@nps.gov
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 13, 2007
          Sam,
          These are fascinating results. We ought to get you to screen a sample of
          bees from here and there. I am also dying to know if other bees in your
          collection have those same approximate values. This sounds like a whole new
          idea!

          Jerry
          __________________________
          Jerry Freilich, Ph.D.
          Research & Research Learning Network Coordinator
          Olympic National Park
          600 E. Park Ave.
          Port Angeles, WA 98362

          Phone: 360-565-3082
          Fax: 360-565-3070
          Cell: 360-477-3338
          Jerry_Freilich@...

          "This is the most beautiful place on earth,
          there are many such places..."
          Edward Abbey
          ___________________________

          Sam Droege
          <sdroege@...> To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
          Sent by: cc: (bcc: Jerry Freilich/OLYM/NPS)
          beemonitoring@yaho Subject: [beemonitoring] The Metal Content of Bees
          ogroups.com

          03/13/2007 03:12
          PM AST
          Please respond to
          beemonitoring

          All:

[...]

          BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
          Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

        • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 13, 2007
            Hey Sam,

            theres a guy named Jerry Bromenshenk, who has been working on grants from DOD for years, using honey bees to determine the extent of fallout from pollution sources and the like.  The hairs pick up lots of stuff.  And now he's got them learning to sniff for bombs and landmines.  Crazy stuff but it seems to work.  I'm not sure it he has published much of this, he's not the publication type of guy.  But I'll try to find you his web site or e-mail.  No reason it wouldn't be the same for native species.

            Cheers,
            Anita
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 14, 2007

              Jerry (and anyone else interested):

              Yes, it would be interesting to see what the variance around this would be.    If you would send me about 40 dried bees (on pins would be fine).  We will do a scan.   We likely will try some additional samples too.  Its likely worth exploration.

              sam

              Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

              The mosquito was heard to complain
              That the Chemist had poisoned his brain
              The cause of his sorrow
              Was paradichloro-
              Diphenyltrichloroethane
                -Unknown

              Jerry_Freilich@...
              Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

              03/13/2007 06:21 PM

              Please respond to
              beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

              beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
              cc
              Subject
              Re: [beemonitoring] The Metal Content of Bees

              <