Introducing the BeeCounter Excel Program

    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 34 KB
    All:
    When going through a set of bees we have captured we now usually don't pin our common species.  Rather at an individual site we count the number captured of each species and enter them directly.  We then store their little dried bodies in petri dishes (Edd Barrow's excellent idea) so they are archived in case they need to be accessed later.

    However, we were looking for a program that would allow us to efficiently tally up our counts similar to one of those old color coded lab counters that you click when a particular event occurs.

    Unfortunately, I couldn't find a free program online.  But fortunately, Mark Wimer in our office volunteered to write one and the result is attached below.

    You simply open the Excel file (making sure that macros are enabled), click on the yellow box, and use the keypad numbers and the symbols +\ and - as counters.

    You can change the names of the species in any way you wish ... I have just provided a set of examples.

    You could easily modify the basic macro to include any other letters of symbols on the computer.

    Feel free to modify and distribute as you wish.

    Another person has also produced a stand alone version that does not need Excel, which I will send out later, but at this point I actually like the Excel version better.