How many bees do you get per bowl on average?

  • glebuhn
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2009
      Sam and I are trying to figure out how much it costs to collect bees at a single site. To do that, we need to estimate the average number of bees caught per bowl. We have estimates from the desert (about 3.2 bees per bowl) and the eastern US (about 1 bee per bowl). If any of you can pass on your bee per bowl average, I'd be grateful. I'm especially interested in samples from areas outside the US.

      Thanks,

      Gretchen
    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2009
        >Sam and I are trying to figure out how much it costs to collect bees
        >at a single site. To do that, we need to estimate the average number
        >of bees caught per bowl. We have estimates from the desert (about
        >3.2 bees per bowl) and the eastern US (about 1 bee per bowl). If any
        >of you can pass on your bee per bowl average, I'd be grateful. I'm
        >especially interested in samples from areas outside the US.

        John Heraty's lab group routinely places dozens of YPTs every time
        they go anywhere for field work - they do this to catch chalcidoid
        wasps. While I can't give hard figures, I have seen many, many of
        their YPT samples, and from the Neotropics, I think I can state with
        some confidence that the numbers could not exceed one bee per trap
        average (and that's often more than 24 hours). From South Africa, it
        might have been between 1 and 2 per trap. Of course, this neglects
        the effect of season, which I can't recall offhand...

        Peace,