Re: [beemonitoring] Honey in Georgia

  • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2009
      What's the date on deSoto's march?  I never did too well with history and dates.  WE do have records of honey bees in the very first settlements in the New World.  Pilgrims, Virginia settlements. They spread out beyond the European settlements rather quickly.  The indians referred to them as the White Man's Fly.  MIght they have been in Georgia from that?  A rare feral colony?  About 30 years ago there was an article by Everet Oetell (sp), a scientist at the USDA lab in Baton Rouge, who did a lot of searching of old ships registers, even back in England.  I'll see if I can put my hands on it.  Maybe in American Bee Journal?

      Anita Collins
    • Charles Guevara
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2009
            Hello Claus....I'm skeptical about:"a quantity of bears grease preserved in pots"...these tramping speculators had quite tunnel-vision obsession to resources they could take...I doubt what was in that 'quantity of grease'/ wether or not it 'was preserved' could be accurately noted by the scribe/missionary-invader.  The journal entry of 'honey'...could quite naturally be processed sap of many tropical plants( honey being similar to 'mapel syrup' , especially to a beleauguered tramping invader?).  Then there was frenzy for both native vast amounts of refined gold, and for a literal 'fountain of youth'!

           See the widely available Klaus Kinskey film:" The Rath of A...", for quite tangible insights to  de Sotos 'mind set'.  A 'maple syrup type' processed tropical confection could easily be mistaken for  what we here call:'honey'.   charlie guevara  NJ,US