Re: [beemonitoring] roads and bees

  • David Inouye
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2009
      I've seen road-killed bumble bees not infrequently. Some on my
      windshield, some on the road.

      David Inouye

      At 12:49 PM 5/4/2009, you wrote:

      >Hello everyone. I am looking for information on the effects of roads
      >on bee movement. Exhaustive searches in "Google Scholar" and "Web of
      >Science" yielded only one relevant article (and a few dealing with
      >beetles rather than bees). The rumor says that roads tend to form a
      >barrier to bee movement. Is this true? Is it a complete or only
      >partial barrier? Are all bee taxa similarly affected? Is the effect
      >caused by the asphalt cover, the rapid movement of vehicles, the
      >chemicals emitted by the vehicles, etc.? Would a narrow road, rarely
      >driven through and surrounded by natural vegetation, cause the same
      >effect as a busy highway (I guess not...)?
      >
      >I would appreciate if you could recommend any relevant literature
      >and/or share your own experience and knowledge.
      >
      >Thank you in advance,
      >
      >Gidi Pisanty.
    • Sarina Jepsen
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2009
        Hi Gidi,
        Jennifer Hopwood published a paper last year that may interest you. She looked at bee diversity in restored grasslands on road edges and found that "Traffic and width of roadside did not significantly influence bees, suggesting that even relatively narrow verges near heavy traffic could provide valuable habitat to bees."

        Hopwood, J.L. 2008. The contribution of roadside grassland restorations to native bee conservation. Biological Conservation 141: 2632-2640.

        Here is the abstract:
        Marginal habitats such as hedgerows or roadsides become especially important for the conservation of biodiversity in highly modified landscapes. With concerns of a global pollination crisis, there is a need for improving pollinator habitat. Roadsides restored to native prairie vegetation may provide valuable habitat to bees, the most important group of pollinators. Such roadsides support a variety of pollen and nectar sources and unlike agricultural fields, are unplowed, and therefore can provide potential nesting sites for groundnesting bees. To examine potential effects of roadside restoration, bee communities were sampled via aerial netting and pan trapping along roadside prairie restorations as well as roadsides dominated by non-native plants. Management of roadside vegetation via the planting of native species profoundly affected bee communities. Restored roadsides supported significantly greater bee abundances as well as higher species richness compared to weedy roadsides. Floral species richness, floral abundance, and percentage of bare ground were the factors that led to greater bee abundance and bee species richness along restored roadsides. Traffic and width of roadside did not significantly influence bees, suggesting that even relatively narrow verges near heavy traffic could provide valuable habitat to bees. Restored and weedy roadside bee communities were similar to the prairie remnant, but the prairie remnant was more similar in bee richness and abundance to restored roadsides. Restoring additional roadsides to native vegetation could benefit pollinator conservation efforts by improving habitat on the millions of acres of land devoted to roadsides worldwide, land that is already set aside from further development.

        Also, my coworker (Matthew Shepherd) said that Patty Cramer with the USGS Utah Cooperative Fish & Wildlife Research Unit has been collecting information on how roads impact wildlife: www.wildlifeandroads.org

        Best of luck,
        Sarina Jepsen
        The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation

        The Xerces Society is an international, nonprofit
        organization that protects wildlife through the
        conservation of invertebrates and their habitat.
        To join the Society, make a contribution, or read
        about our work, please visit www.xerces.org

        Sarina Jepsen
        Endangered Species Coordinator
        4828 SE Hawthorne Blvd. Portland, OR 97215
        tel: 503-232-6639 fax: 503-233-6794
        email: sarina@...

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4052 (20090504) __________

        http://www.eset.com