Fw: Re: [beemonitoring] roads and bees

  • Charles Guevara
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2009

      --- On Mon, 5/4/09, Charles Guevara <icecilliate123@...> wrote:

      From: Charles Guevara <icecilliate123@...>
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] roads and bees
      To: "Gidi" <gidpisa79@...>
      Date: Monday, May 4, 2009, 9:18 PM

         Hi Gidi, when my son was younger than eleven...on long car trips in daytime, one of the 'contests' in spring time was ;'who sees the first bees hive'...wins (prizes dependant on the contest).  Quite easy to spot larger grayish paper hives along our NJ/NY route 17, usually you see these hives each year again and again in springtime, often in same areas (eg. along rt 17 near town of Washington Twshp, NJ, along rt 17 in Tuxcedo,NY, etc. ).  The ones we see repeatedly each year are up in the trees,at least twenty feet above ground.
         As there was a 'payoff' in this for him, my son pointed out six nest/hives between Paramus,NJ and Monroe,NY in trees along route 17.  Every year since I was a child, summer vacations were a 200+ mile trek along Route 17 to exit #82...always, always busy bees,wasps, bumble bees, etc...'working the trash bins' at motorist parking areas.
        IMHO our impact is the construction of the roads, the winter applied ice-control chemistries, siltation/stream runoffs...but bees etc. are a robust part of our 'road trip daytime experiences here in NE US.   charlie guevara  NJ,US