Re: [beemonitoring] containers to hold cut flowers?

  • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 1:35 PM

      For a study, add the bottom of milk jugs under the pot.
      2 liter soda bottles.
      etc (KISS system.)
      BillSF9c

      Dear All,

      I am planning a pollinator behavior study in which, for logistical reasons,
      I will be using cut flowers rather than potted plants. I am thinking of
      putting the stems in florists' foam, but I'm having a little trouble
      figuring out what to use as containers to put the foam into. Plant pots
      would be cheap and of a neutral color, but I'd rather have something without
      holes in the bottom so that excess water won't be wasted. Food containers
      tend to be more expensive and are often white, which I think might be
      distracting to the pollinators (although at this point some sort of clear
      food container is looking like my best bet). I've also considered having
      the stems in flower vials, but I think they would be a good deal more work
      to refill because that seems to require taking the lids off and then putting
      them back on.

      Have any of you done a study with cut flowers, and if so, what did you use?

      I'd also welcome any cautions or other suggestions you might have with
      regards to using cut flowers for a behavior study.

      Cheers,

      Carla