Re: [beemonitoring] The Tweezer That Makes a Difference

  • Doug Yanega
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2009
      Re: [beemonitoring] The Tweezer That Makes a Differenc
      Doctors use these too.

      The nice thing about RAT is that they exert only the defined

      design force, and no more. Someone heavy handed or w coffee

      jitters could damage a specimen with Tweezers, now and then.

      RATweezers make this far less likely, & reduce carpel tunnel.

      Try med sup co's.

      The only pair of RATs I've ever seen (and I still have them - I was given them as a child for my stamp-collecting hobby) would utterly crush any insect specimens. I presume you're saying that there are some designs which exert only a very minimal force on anything between their tips? Do they have any such designs with fine tips that might be suitable for specimens of 1mm or so? If that's the case, then maybe if someone finds such a design for sale somewhere, it might be good to share the info.
      --

      Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology         Entomology Research Museum
      Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314        skype: dyanega
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 27, 2009

        Doug:

        The site I listed in the original post (TDI) had several models, the one I indicated is so nicely designed that it will work on 1mm specimens if you pick them up by the wing but even legs work a high percentage of the time.  The also have pointed ones including ones with replacable tips that could be machined into different shapes.

        Check out:

        http://www.tdiinternational.com/home.html?lang=en-us&target=d101.html

        Sheen will tarnish, honey cloy,
        And merry is only a mask of sad,
        But, sober on a fund of joy,
        The woods at heart are glad.
              Emerson, Waldeinsamkeit

        From:Doug Yanega <dyanega@...>
        To:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        Date:04/27/2009 05:02 PM
        Subject:Re: [beemonitoring] The Tweezer That Makes a Difference
        Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2009
          >The only pair of RATs I've ever seen (and I still have them - I was
          given them as a child for my stamp-collecting hobby) would utterly
          crush any insect specimens. I presume you're saying that there are
          some designs which exert only a very minimal force on anything
          between their tips?
          --

          Doug Yanega Dept. of Entomology

          Doug? They cost more to begin with.
          Just take your any-RAT's and w needlenose, and maybe a vise,
          "adjust" the tension. TRY to keep your wrist rotation of the
          needlenose, "square" with the tweezers.

          BillSF9c