Re: [beemonitoring] The Tweezer That Makes a Difference

  • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2009
      Doctors use these too.
      The nice thing about RAT is that they exert only the defined
      design force, and no more. Someone heavy handed or w coffee
      jitters could damage a specimen with Tweezers, now and then.
      RATweezers make this far less likely, & reduce carpel tunnel.

      Try med sup co's.

      BillSF9c

      >These tweezers fall into the class of:
      Reverse Action Tweezers
      Electronics types use reverse action tweezers?entomologist seem to only
      rarely.
      In normal tweezerdom a tweezer left unattended is a tweezer that is open
      at its tips. You, the practitioner, use your fingers to close that gap.
      If you let go, the tweezers open and the thing that you were holding is
      released.
      In reverse tweezerdom a tweezer left unattended is closed at the tips and
      kept that way by clever metalwork. You, the practitioner, use pressure
      from your fingers to open that gap and when you let go the tweezer tips
      essentially clamp to whatever it is you have placed between them.
      Why is this useful??.I am glad you asked.
      A reverse action tweezer is useful in that picking up specimens only
      requires the quick opening and closing of the tweezer tips. The remainder
      of the time the specimen remains clamped firmly to the tips of the
      tweezers and can be manipulated under the scope or moved while shifting
      finger position or simply holding the tweezers in a relaxed manner. Sounds
      like no big deal, but it frees up your options, greatly (at least in my
      opinion).--------------------------------------
    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 27, 2009
        Re: [beemonitoring] The Tweezer That Makes a Differenc
        Doctors use these too.

        The nice thing about RAT is that they exert only the defined

        design force, and no more. Someone heavy handed or w coffee

        jitters could damage a specimen with Tweezers, now and then.

        RATweezers make this far less likely, & reduce carpel tunnel.

        Try med sup co's.

        The only pair of RATs I've ever seen (and I still have them - I was given them as a child for my stamp-collecting hobby) would utterly crush any insect specimens. I presume you're saying that there are some designs which exert only a very minimal force on anything between their tips? Do they have any such designs with fine tips that might be suitable for specimens of 1mm or so? If that's the case, then maybe if someone finds such a design for sale somewhere, it might be good to share the info.
        --

        Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology         Entomology Research Museum
        Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314        skype: dyanega
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27, 2009

          Doug:

          The site I listed in the original post (TDI) had several models, the one I indicated is so nicely designed that it will work on 1mm specimens if you pick them up by the wing but even legs work a high percentage of the time.  The also have pointed ones including ones with replacable tips that could be machined into different shapes.

          Check out:

          http://www.tdiinternational.com/home.html?lang=en-us&target=d101.html

          Sheen will tarnish, honey cloy,
          And merry is only a mask of sad,
          But, sober on a fund of joy,
          The woods at heart are glad.
                Emerson, Waldeinsamkeit

          From:Doug Yanega <dyanega@...>
          To:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
          Date:04/27/2009 05:02 PM
          Subject:Re: [beemonitoring] The Tweezer That Makes a Difference
          Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28, 2009
            >The only pair of RATs I've ever seen (and I still have them - I was
            given them as a child for my stamp-collecting hobby) would utterly
            crush any insect specimens. I presume you're saying that there are
            some designs which exert only a very minimal force on anything
            between their tips?
            --

            Doug Yanega Dept. of Entomology

            Doug? They cost more to begin with.
            Just take your any-RAT's and w needlenose, and maybe a vise,
            "adjust" the tension. TRY to keep your wrist rotation of the
            needlenose, "square" with the tweezers.

            BillSF9c