RE: [beemonitoring] Collecing bees in managed apple orchards

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2009

      Sidd- I have nesting Osmia lignaria flying at my older suburban home.  They forage on apples and crabapples at my house and those of neighbors.  They are outnumbered by honeybees on these trees, but I nonetheless typically manage a 2-4x population increase annually, depending on weather (yesterday’s snow was not helpful!).  At some point of course bees can be overstocked…a look at who is still getting pollen in the afternoon might be telling.

      jim

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web pages: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      http://www.biology.usu.edu/people/facultyinfo.asp?username=jcane