Re: [beemonitoring] Collecing bees in managed apple orchards

  • Crumbling.Deana@epamail.epa.gov
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2009
      Sidd,

      I've noticed that when there are lots of flowers around, not
      surprisingly, the bees are much more interested in the flowers than the
      bee bowls. Maybe scent plays a role. I wonder if anyone has ever tried
      adding a floral scent to the water?

      --Deana

      From: "siddharth188" <stiwari@...>

      To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      Date: 04/27/2009 08:37 AM

      Subject: [beemonitoring] Collecing bees in managed apple orchards

      Hello everyone,

      Thought to share my experience of collecting bees in apple orchards. I set out
      bowls (3.25 oz.) on Thursday (April 23) and since then temperatures have been
      really nice and on 2 days have even climbed above 90. I checked the bowls on
      Sunday (April 26) and all I could see was flies, maybe 1 or 2 bees in 1 out of 10
      bowls. Now, I am thinking to leave them out till April 28 or more (depending on
      weather). Orchards that we are using are managed ones so owners have colonies of
      honeybees in every block and you can see honeybees everywhere, on every tree. So,
      I was wondering if anyone has run into a similar situation of working in apple
      orchards loaded with honeybees – because there could be a possibility that
      honeybees might be competiting with native pollinators.

      Thanks in advance,
      Sidd
    • Cane, Jim
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2009

        Sidd- I have nesting Osmia lignaria flying at my older suburban home.  They forage on apples and crabapples at my house and those of neighbors.  They are outnumbered by honeybees on these trees, but I nonetheless typically manage a 2-4x population increase annually, depending on weather (yesterday’s snow was not helpful!).  At some point of course bees can be overstocked…a look at who is still getting pollen in the afternoon might be telling.

        jim

        James H. Cane

        Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

        tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

        email: Jim.Cane@...

        web pages: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

        http://www.biology.usu.edu/people/facultyinfo.asp?username=jcane