Bee ID

  • Riddle,T Charles
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2009

      Could someone take a shot at identifying the bee in this pic.  The plant is Cliftonia monophylla.

    • Dana Visalli
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 27, 2012

        I'll bet someone will recognize this little beauty, seen on 'Mariposa Lily' (Calochortus macrocarpus), presumably
        in July here in northcentral Washington.  Thanks for any help.    Dana

      • Brian Dykstra
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 27, 2012
          Dana,
          The bright shiny green metallic sheen (including the abdomen) hints at the genus Augochlora, a green sweat bee (Halictidae family). I am not read up or experienced as far as what species might be recorded for W, or what bees might look similar there (other than Agapostemon which does not have a solid green abdomen).
          Brian

          On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Dana Visalli <dana@...> wrote:

          I'll bet someone will recognize this little beauty, seen on 'Mariposa Lily' (Calochortus macrocarpus), presumably
          in July here in northcentral Washington.  Thanks for any help.    Dana

        • Cory Sheffield
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 27, 2012
            It is Agapostemon.

            Females of several species are entirely green, though males will have the black, yellow (and/or hints of green) on the abdomen.  Typically, Agapostemon are more coarsely sculptured than augochorine bees, at least in North America...as this one appeasrs to be,

          • Gordon.Hutchings@forces.gc.ca
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 27, 2012
              Hi Dana,

              Why wouldn't this be a species of Agapostemon like A. virescens (female obviously) as this is what I believe would be in your area similar to here in southern B.C.

              Cheers,

              Gord Hutchings

              I'll bet someone will recognize this little beauty, seen on 'Mariposa Lily' (Calochortus macrocarpus), presumably
              in July here in northcentral Washington.  Thanks for any help.    Dana

            • Doug Yanega
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 27, 2012
                RE: [beemonitoring] Bee ID

                Hi Dana,

                Why wouldn't this be a species of Agapostemon like A. virescens (female obviously) as this is what I believe would be in your area similar to here in southern B.C.

                Females of virescens have a black abdomen, so the bee in the photo can't be virescens. It looks shaggier and duller than texanus, so that removes a few possibilities.

                Peace,
                --

                Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology         Entomology Research Museum
                Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314        skype: dyanega
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 27, 2012
                  The all green Agapostemon occuring in NC Washington are A. femoratus and A. texanus.  Probably not possible to authoritatively distinguish these with this semi-lo-res picture.

                  Jack

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 27, 2012

                    Thanks very much for everyone's reply.  There is a high-res version, the photographer thinks he has a treasure
                    and is possessive of it.  Maybe I can pry it out of his grip and use it for a local learning experience.  I'll check
                    to see if these are keyed at DiscoverLife.

                    Is there anything resembling a bee species list for individual states, or in my case, Washington State?

                    Dana

                    The all green Agapostemon occuring in NC Washington are A. femoratus and A. texanus.  Probably not possible to authoritatively distinguish these with this semi-lo-res picture.

                    Jack

                    I'll bet someone will recognize this little beauty, seen on 'Mariposa Lily' (Calochortus macrocarpus), presumably
                    in July here in northcentral Washington.  Thanks for any help.    Dana

                  • L B
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 27, 2012
                      A.texanus is a regular visitor of C. macrocarpus in the Southern Okanagan Valley and Similkameen in British Columbia.

                      A.femoratus, not so much.

                      Great photo!

                      Cheers
                      --
                      Lincoln R. Best

                      This message, including any attachments, is privileged and may contain confidential information intended only for the person(s) named above. Any other distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. Communication by email is not a secure medium and, as part of the transmission process, this message may be copied to servers operated by third parties while in transit. Unless you advise us to the contrary, by accepting communications that may contain your personal information from us via email, you are deemed to provide your consent to our transmission of the contents of this message in this manner. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email and permanently delete the original transmission from us, including any attachments, without making a copy.