Request for fresh Hoplitis material

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2009

      I received this email from Andreas Müller today.  As you can read below, his group is looking for fresh specimens of several sugenera of Hoplitis.  If you have any in your collection or, collect any this spring, it would be a wonderful contribution to science if you were to send them some material.  You can email Andreas directly using the information below.   Also note that they would be interested in any specimens of the Osmia, Heriades, Chelostemo, Ashmeadiella crowd to expand their for their worldwide collection.

      Thanks

      I Just Do What The Voices Inside My Head Tell Me To Do

      Dear Sam

      Claudio Sedivy has recently started a PhD project on the phylogeny of the osmiine bee genus Hoplitis. He has already sequenced three genes of about 80 species and the first preliminary phylogenetic analyses look quite promising. Unfortunately, some important Hoplitis subgenera occurring in the USA are still lacking or are underrepresented. That is the reason why we contact you today. We would like to kindly ask you whether you possibly could help us with the collection of some of the Hoplitis species listed below. We would be interested in freshly collected material stored in 70-100% ethanol. Pinned material not older than two years should work as well. If you could provide one or several of the US Hoplitis species, we would be very grateful! Of course, we can imagine that you do not have time to collect bees this year or that the species we would like to include in our phylogeny do not occur at the places where you will work this spring and summer. So, please do not hesitate to refuse our request if you think that it is impossible, needs too much time or is inconvenient for whatever reason.

      Hoplitis (Hoplitina):
      we already have H. mojavensis, but would like to include 1 additional species
      Hoplitis (Proteriades):
      we already have H. zuni, but would like to include 2 additional species
      Hoplitis (Acrosmia):
      this subgenus still lacks us, we would like to include 1-2 species
      Hoplitis (Robertsonella):
      this subgenus still lacks us, we would like to include 1 species
      Hoplitis (Monumetha)
      : we already have H. albifrons, but would like to include 1 additional US species
      Hoplitis (Alcidamea):
      we already have H. pilosifrons, but would like to include 2 additional US species

      We would like to ask you another question. We are planning to expand our osmiine bee collection, which currently contains mainly Palaearctic species, with Nearctic representatives of the Osmiini. Would it perhaps be possible to get duplicates of Nearctic species from your collection? In exchange, I could send you Palaearctic species.

      Many thanks for a short answer and best wishes,

      Andreas, Claudio

      PS. We have sent the same request also to John Ascher, Bryan Danforth, Charles Michener, Rob Minckley, Terry Griswold and Laurence Packer.

      Andreas Müller, Scientific Curator Entomological Collection,

      ETH Zurich, Applied Entomology, Schmelzbergstrasse 9/LFO, CH-8092 Zürich, Switzerland
      Tel:  +41 - 44 - 632 39 08
      email:
      andreas.mueller@...

      P Bees are not optional.