Cliftonia monophylla

  • Riddle,T Charles
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2009

      I am in the Southwest corner of Georgia.  In working with insects in general, plant phenology is important.  While trying to put together a list of important early blooming plants in this area I ran across a small remnant area of large Cliftonia monophylla (buckwheat tree, Black Titi).  This was in mid February, and it had started blooming. Although, it is listed federally as a obligate wetlands plant, I feel that it should not be overlooked as an early native bee forage in this area.  There is another order of magnitude of species diversity as well as numbers in general  on the plant at this time as opposed to anywhere else I have been in this area.