More Bee Pictures on Discoverlife Guides Available

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2009

      Recently John Pickering has upgraded our abilities to manage pictures on the Discoverlife Website.  We now have about 5000 or so pictures available on the species' pages, from a wide variety of sources, including those of several members of this list.  Coverage is uneven as to which species are included and which not, but we hope to gradually rectify that.  Right now Halictidae and Megachilidae have the most photos included.

      General URL for guides:

                      http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?search=Apoidea#Identification

      At some point over the next few months we will be recruiting help for taking photographs, uploading, and including more scanned text into the site, as those tasks can not be done from any computer.   However, DON'T EMAIL ME YET! with any offers as we are still testing things out.  Thanks..sorry for shouting.

      Also, most of you may not be aware that we are constantly upgrading the identification information on the guides.  ...Adding and changing scorings, upgrading species accounts and tips.....We have added a lot of new information recently on some of the trickier Melissodes groups for example.  The guides are constantly evolving and you can expect them to continue to do so.  We are always interested in any corrections or additions you might have to make them better.

      CHE FECE . . . IL GRAN RIFIUTO

      A day comes to some people when
      they must pronounce the great Yes or the great No.
      It is instantly clear who has the Yes within,
      ready; and by uttering it, he crosses over to

      his honor and conviction. The one who
      refuses has no remorse. If asked again,
      he'd say no again. And yet that No —
      the right No — weighs him down to his life's end.

                                       [1901]

             Translated with Willis Barnstone

      C. P. Cavafy
      Translated by Aliki Barnstone