  • Matthew Sarver
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2009
      Sam -

      I have no personal experience using formaldehyde, but I have attached a paper (Pekar et al 2002) that may be of some relevance in terms of differential catch based on various formaldehyde concentrations.  Based on another paper (Dillon et al 1996) in Insect Molecular Biology (sorry that I don't have a PDF of this one), formalin-caught hymentoptera experience DNA degradation.  I suspect that is not an issue for your purposes, but you may want to investigate that further.  In a 1992 paper in Entomological News, Eric van den Berghe commented that "specimens taken with formaldehyde in traps (or preserved in EtOH) come out stiff, brittle, and unsuitable for genitalic preparation."

      Also, it is interesting to note that one study (Deville and Wheeler 1998) indicated that ethylene glycol yellow pan traps caught significantly more hymenoptera than propylene glycol filled trips.

      If you need copies of any of these papers, let me know, and I will scan them.

      Best
      Matt

      Matthew Sarver
      Sarver Ecological Consulting