Where to get Propylene Glycol

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2009

      I have been having problems finding sources of Propylene Glycol for use in traps.  As you may recall the traditional Ethylene Glycol used in radiator fluid is toxic to mammals.  Propylene Glycol, on the other hand, is used in processed foods and is considered "safe."

      Problem is that none of the automotive stores in the area carry it and WalMart while carrying RV coolant, carries it as a dilute formula and in red rather than clear.

      Yesterday, while fooling around repairing an ancient dump truck with a friend, he mentioned that you can get it from heating and cooling suppliers as it is required when a coolant is used in hot water panels.

      Such suppliers are easy to find in the yellow pages and while they may not have PG in stock, it is its easy for them to order and should come in a day or two.

      I hear it goes for about $60.00 U.S. for 5 gallons.

      Here is one manufacturer.

      RV sales shops may also be able to order you propylene glycol, but am less familiar with them.

      Importantly, you can order it clear, rather than the normal red or blue.

      sam

      A mosquito was heard to complainThat a chemist had poisoned his brainThe cause of his sorrowWas paradichloroDiphenyltrichloroethane.	-- Dr. D. D. Perrin

    • Matthew Sarver
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2009
        Sam -

        Prestone LowTox Antifreeze (which used to be available at Wal-Mart, but I haven't checked in quite awhile) uses Propylene Glycol.  I've used it in pitfall traps.  I believe I have the concentration of propylene glycol in the formulation written down somewhere, because I called the company.  Of course, you don't know what other proprietary additives are also in it.  I used it at a 50% dilution with water and surfactant (Kodak photo-flo) in both funnel and Nordlander-style pitfall traps with no problems for a period of a week or so at a time.

        Best
        Matt

        Matthew Sarver
        Sarver Ecological Consulting
        173 Wallace Rd
        Blairsville, PA 15717

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
          Sam, I get my propylene glycol from Checkers (soon to be out of business
          here) There are two brands Sierra and Prestone. I am worried that the new
          regulations to put formaldahyde in the regular antifreeze will make
          finding this product harder to get. Have you asked the automotive supply
          store near you about special ordering it? If they get Prestone products,
          they should be able to order it. Good luck, Karen

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
            Karen:

            Thanks for the notes about propylene glycol availability.  Interesting to see that formaldehyde will be added to ethylene glycol.  From correspondents and literature from Europe it appears to be common practice to add 1% to 5% formaldehyde to soapy water in moericke bowl traps.  The formalin keeps the vertebrates away, keeps algae down, and preserves the catch.  The only problem is that people are very leery about using it and so we are shying away from recommending it in traps, but I could be convinced otherwise.  Does anyone on the list have experience with using formalin in traps?

            Thanks

            "We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
            With sea girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
            Til human voices wake us, and we drown."
                 - T. S. Eliot.

            P Bees are not optional.

            From:Karen Wetherill <karen@...>
            To:Sam Droege <sdroege@...>
            Cc:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            Date:03/03/2009 12:25 PM
            Subject:Re: [beemonitoring] Where to get Propylene Glycol
            Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

          • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009

              My spider pitfall traps in Utah years ago had Kahle’s fluid, which contains formalin and glacial acetic acid.  I never saw a vertebrate in my trap (or any dead ones nearby).

              Barb

              Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

              Associate Professor

              SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor

              Department of Biological Sciences

              Hampton University

              Hampton, VA  23668

              757-727-5283

              barbara.abraham@...

              Thanks for the notes about propylene glycol availability.  Interesting to see that formaldehyde will be added to ethylene glycol.  From correspondents and literature from Europe it appears to be common practice to add 1% to 5% formaldehyde to soapy water in moericke bowl traps.  The formalin keeps the vertebrates away, keeps algae down, and preserves the catch.  The only problem is that people are very leery about using it and so we are shying away from recommending it in traps, but I could be convinced otherwise.  Does anyone on the list have experience with using formalin in traps?

              Thanks

              sam

              Sam Droege   sdroege@usgs. gov
              BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville , MD   20705
              Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

              "We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
              With sea girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
              Til human voices wake us, and we drown."
                   - T. S. Eliot.

              P Bees are not optional.

              Karen Wetherill <karen@sevilleta. unm.edu>

              Sam Droege < sdroege@usgs. gov >

              beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com

              03/03/2009 12:25 PM

              Re: [beemonitoring] Where to get Propylene Glycol