Mid Atlantic and Northeastern National Wildlife Refuge Bee Project

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2009

      Leo Shapiro and I are working with the Region 5 National Wildlife Refuges on bee surveys of late summer/early fall fields.  We will be looking at variability of captures across fields at different distances and giving the refuges an initial small amount of information about their bee populations.

      We are also trying a different approach to reporting the results.

      We are in the middle of working up the individual refuge data and have created a blog with blog entries for each refuges results at:

      http://beerefuge.blogspot.com/

      We will continue to post refuge data as we complete the results.  And then will progress into posting the results of the larger analyses.

      Check it out.

      Two Doctors in the camp
      Dissected the slain deer, weighed the trout's brain,
      Captured the lizard, salamander, shrew,
      Crab, mice, snail, dragon-fly, minnow and moth;
      Insatiate skill in water or in air
      Waved the scoop-net, and nothing came amiss;
      The while, one leaden pot of alcohol
      Gave an impartial tomb to all the kinds.
         -Ralph Waldo Emerson - The Adirondacks, A Journal

      P Bees are not optional.

      From:Sarina Jepsen <sarina@...>
      To:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      Date:02/23/2009 02:26 PM
      Subject:[beemonitoring] pocket identification guides for rare bumble bees
      Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      Identification guides for rare bumble bees
      The Xerces Society has developed pocket identification guides to help detect the rare and declining bumble bee species Bombus occidentalis, Bombus affinis, and Bombus terricola. These guides include illustrations of similar species found in the ranges of each of the above species.

      Download and print a PDF version of the pocket identification guide for:

      If you spot any of these species, please take photos and send an email to
      bumblebees@....

      If you would like a printed version of one or two of these guides, please email
      sarina@....

      Read more about our work on conservation of these three species of bumble bees.

      The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation

      The Xerces Society is an international, nonprofit organization that
      protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their
      habitat. To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our
      work, please visit
      www.xerces.org

      Sarina Jepsen
      Endangered Species Coordinator
      4828 SE Hawthorne Blvd.  Portland, OR  97215
      tel: 503-232-6639     fax: 503-233-6794
      email: sarina@...