Darwin as a Pollination Biologist

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2009
      Dear NAPPC Colleagues:

      Please consider a point I brought up in my last communication.

      1) The scientific community and science press are celebrating Charles Darwin's 200th birthday and the 150th anniversary of the publication of "On the Origin of Species..."

      2) Charles Darwin's publications on insect-pollination and plant breeding systems are the foundation of several sub-disciplines in Biology.

      3)  Can you recite the title of the first book Darwin published after "On the Origin of Species" and how this book, published in 1862,  proved and defended hypotheses Darwin made in "On the Origin of Species?"

      4)  Why is this book (now reprinted several times) so important to both plant and pollinator conservation?

      Shouldn't NAPPC be contributing to and riding the coattails of the 2009 Darwin celebrations?  Have you considered discussing Darwin's work on pollination when writing articles or giving public talks?  Institutions like the Morton Arboretum (Illinois) are planning a year of guest speakers who will lecture on the books Darwin wrote after OOS. The Morton Arboretum plans to record and tape a number of these lectures and interviews.  NAPPC members, Peter Bernhardt and Retha Meier will be speaking on March 10 and we intend to include something about NAPPC in our power point and/or in our interview.  Of course, we have the option of raping and pillaging the famous library at the Missouri Botanical Garden (St. Louis) but lots of "Darwiniana" can be down loaded these days.  It should be easy for NAPPC members to incorporate aspects of Darwin's research (and his charming yet accurate pen and ink illustrations) into your own presentations.

      For more information on the program at Morton please contact Leslie Goddard <LGoddard@...> or Michael Stieber <mstleber@...>.   So many NAPPC members are affiliated with museums, gardens, arboreta, zoos etc. it shouldn't be too difficult to write or speak on this subject between now and December, right?

      Peter Bernhardt
      Department of Biology
      3507 Laclede Ave.
      Saint Louis University