RE: [Pollinator] [beemonitoring] Bee Lawn Mix Thought

  • Ed Spevak
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009

      Sam,

      We have been investigating the possibility of establishing a bee/pollinator friendly lawn with graphics here at the zoo as part of our Native Pollinator Conservation Initiative and hope to have one started this spring.

      Ed

      Edward M. Spevak

      Curator of Invertebrates

      St Louis Zoo

      One Government Drive

      St Louis, MO 63110

      314-646-4706

      314-807-5419 Cell

      314-647-7969 Fax

      From: Sam Droege < sdroege@... >
      Sender: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      From what I have seen of the urban pollination/pollinator world, the concentration of research, advice, and management has focused on flowering plants, both in remnant parkland and in garden plots.  All good.  Bees are found in surprising places and easily surpass butterflies in abundance and kinds.  But.  Places that are gardenable and convertible are limited, particularly compared to paved areas and lawns.   Paved areas are of limited use for pollinators, of course, but lawns, while ignored by the average bee urbanite, are not.   We have sampled lawns on the National Mall and elsewhere and found bees in abundance.  What are they doing there?  I think it has a lot to do with  prostrate flowers such as clover, purslane, and spurge plus the quick bloomers such as dandelions and plantains.

      What if someone would develop a bee lawn seed mix?

      Wouldn't that potentially have a higher impact on the number and kinds of bees in urban areas than the high effort, high cost, high maintenance (but, yes, very pretty) pollinator garden?  Particularly if most people don't want to go to the effort?

      What if highway departments seeded with a bee roadside mix that didn't require them to NOT mow or to treat any different than they do now....wouldn't that be an even greater impact than the few places where people tolerate weedy looking native plant plots and can afford the planting and upkeep?

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@...
      BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville , MD   20705
      Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3827 (20090204) __________

      http://www.eset.com

      The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
      The Xerces Society is an international nonprofit organization that
      protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their
      habitat. To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our
      work, please visit www.xerces.org.

      Matthew Shepherd
      Senior Conservation Associate
      4828 SE Hawthorne Boulevard, Portland, OR 97215, USA
      Tel: 503-232 6639 Cell: 503-807 1577 Fax: 503-233 6794

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009
        Dear Ed:

        Once upon a time, all public and private lawns were full of flowers.  The tradition of the lawn begins in the Middle Ages when special events meant cutting up turf and arranging them in a palace courtyard completed with field flowers.  This was known as the "flowery meade" [meadow].

        The tradition of flowering lawns has persisted, at least, in Western Europe for hundreds of years.  In fact, European horticulturists and plant breeders continue to recommend planting flowers in lawns where grass is sparse due to soil, climate and or shade conditions.  You plant seeds or bulbs in the bare patches and I saw much of this in Basel, Switzerland.  This is particularly popular with those fond of small corms or bulbs of early spring monocots.  It was much popularized in England during the 20th century by the famous crocus and daffodil breeder, E.A. Bowles.  The tradition persists in a number of former British colonies.  For example, lawns at some Australian universities are usually seeded with the tiny "English daisy" (Bellis perrenis).

        Those interested should consider viewing the color photos in Richard Mabey's "Floral Britannica: Book of Spring Flowers," Chatto & Windus, London (1998).  Please pay particular attention to  pages 34, 35, 68, 69, 71, 80, 87, 90, 110 and 112.  Note, in particular, how native and introduced herbaceous species are encouraged on the lawns of old universities, churchyards and cemeteries.  Rarer plants (including orchids and kagaroo paw flowers) are still encouraged in some rural Australian cemeteries (depending on the local burial society).   Please see Chapter 14 in my book, "Natural Affairs; A Botanist Looks at the Attachments Between Plants and People." (1983), Villard Books, New York.  In many ways, we are decades behind Australia and centuries behind western Europe.

        Sincerely, Peter

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009

          Thanks Peter,

          Some great talking points for education.

          Ed

          Edward M. Spevak

          Curator of Invertebrates

          St Louis Zoo