pan trapping vs malaise trapping for pollinator inventories

  • David_r_smith@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009

      Hi All,

      I have looked at earlier studies where malaise traps were used to collect flying insects as part of montane pollinator studies.  Are malaise traps still used or have pantraps and netting been deemed a suitable replacement?.  I know you can buy a lot a small plastic cups for the price of a malaise trap.

      Thanks  a lot,

      Dave Smith
    • Matthew Sarver
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
        Dave -

        Since malaise traps don't rely on the insect being attracted to the colored bowl, the malaise will yield a much broader sample of the flying insect community, especially if you use a modified design that includes a lower collection chamber for those insects that drop down, rather than fly up, when they hit the mesh.  I don't know how bee catches in particular compare between malaise and bowl traps, but you will likely get a much larger sample (in terms of both diversity and bulk) of other Hymenoptera, Diptera, and Coleoptera from a malaise, including many groups of insects that you would not get from bowl traps.  Conversely, you lose the attraction power of the UV paints, so the malaise is likely to be less efficient at capturing bees, if that is your group of interest.  You will also catch a lot moths, and will have a lot of sorting (and washing of moth scales) to do to pick out your groups of interest.  Make sure you have the finances and manpower to process malaise samples before you decide to use them.  The process is extremely labot-intensive.  Bowl trap and netting samples are much less labor-intensive to clean and sort.  Malaise traps definitely still have their place in the sampling repertoire, if you have the resources to purchase, deploy, and process samples from them.  It really depends upon the goals of your study.  Hope that is helpful!

        Best
        Matt

        Matthew Sarver
        Sarver Ecological Consulting
        173 Wallace Rd
        Blairsville, PA 15717
        I have looked at earlier studies where malaise traps were used to collect flying insects as part of montane pollinator studies.  Are malaise traps still used or have pantraps and netting been deemed a suitable replacement? .  I know you can buy a lot a small plastic cups for the price of a malaise trap.

        Thanks  a lot,

        Dave Smith

      • David Inouye

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
            In my research work from 1999-2001, I used malaise traps.  It tends to collect a lot of Bombus and halictids, at least in my area.  I did not use the pan trapping in my research.  The malaise traps were more convenient in the area I was collecting, and they generated a lot of specimens for me.  I was mostly concentrating on the host plants, but this supplied me with some bees that I had not collected on vegetation.  I used a modified version of Townes.

            Laugh often, live wonderfully!

            Beverly Smith

            To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            From: David_r_smith@...
            Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:12:23 -0700

            Hi All,

            I have looked at earlier studies where malaise traps were used to collect flying insects as part of montane pollinator studies.  Are malaise traps still used or have pantraps and netting been deemed a suitable replacement? .  I know you can buy a lot a small plastic cups for the price of a malaise trap.

            Thanks  a lot,

            Dave Smith

            Windows LiveTM Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail. Check it out.
          • Edward M. Barrows
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
              January 7, 2009

              Hi Dave Smith,

              I ran Townes-style Malaise traps (without baits) in the 1970s through
              1990s, in Washington, D.C.; Maryland; Virginia; and West Virginia
              (depending on the year). The traps obtained large bee samples. The
              resource input to process the specimens is very high as Matthew Sarver
              indicated. Most bees are removed from the samples, I have 1000s of bee
              specimens in need of analysis, and I am very behind in publishing about
              the bees, but did get out:

              Kalhorn, K. D., E. M. Barrows, and W. E. LaBerge. 2003. Bee
              (Hymenoptera: Apoidea: Apiformes) Diversity in an Appalachian Shale
              Barrens. Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society 76: 455–468.

              Cheers, Edd Barrows

              David_r_smith@... wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > I have looked at earlier studies where malaise traps were used to
              > collect flying insects as part of montane pollinator studies. Are
              > malaise traps still used or have pantraps and netting been deemed a
              > suitable replacement?. I know you can buy a lot a small plastic cups
              > for the price of a malaise trap.
              >
              > Thanks a lot,
              >
              > Dave Smith
            • Julio A. Genaro
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
                I agree with Matt
                I ran Malaise traps in subtropics without many success on bees. More on Diptera, moths and parasitic wasps.
                An interseption trap with big yellow plates below was better for me.
                a combination of several techniques will be better. Don't forget to sweep with an entomological net
                cheers
                julio

                ________________________

                Julio A. Genaro
                http://caribbeanahigroup.org
                Editor Cocuyo:
                Newsletter of Invertebrate Zoologists of the Antilles
                Editor Solenodon: Antillean Journal of Zoological Taxomomy
                Personal webside: http://www.caribbeanahigroup.org/editorialboard.htm

                To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                I have looked at earlier studies where malaise traps were used to collect flying insects as part of montane pollinator studies.  Are malaise traps still used or have pantraps and netting been deemed a suitable replacement? .  I know you can buy a lot a small plastic cups for the price of a malaise trap.

                Thanks  a lot,

                Dave Smith

                Get easy photo sharing with Windows Live™ Photos. Drag n’ drop