Re: [beemonitoring] Bees on Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa)

  • Crumbling.Deana@epamail.epa.gov
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
      You probably can't go wrong with Bombus impatiens (common eastern
      bumblebee). It is very, very common and very much a generalist--seems
      to visit anything & everything. Black cohosh is reported to be very
      popular with bees & flies, so there is no reason why B. impatiens would
      stay away.

      --Deana Crumbling

      |------------>
      | From: |
      |------------>
      >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |becky_loncosky@... |
      >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |------------>
      | To: |
      |------------>
      |beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com |
      >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |------------>
      | Date: |
      |------------>
      >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |01/05/2009 01:01 PM |
      >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |------------>
      | Subject: |
      |------------>
      >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |[beemonitoring] Bees on Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa) |
      >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

      Hi all,

      This is going to be an unusual request, but I got an email from an artist
      who is working on a set of botanical
      watercolors of species present in Catoctin Mountain Park (in northern
      Maryland), inquiring about species of
      bumble bees (or other bees) that she could include on a painting of black
      cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa). She likes to keep the paintings as true to
      life as she can. Any ideas?

      Thanks for your time.

      Becky Loncosky
      Biologist
      Catoctin Mountain Park
      6602 Foxville Road
      Thurmont, MD 21788
      301 416 0536

      .
    • becky_loncosky@nps.gov
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
        Thanks Peter,

        I forwarded the information on to the artist in case she wants to do
        further research.

        Becky Loncosky
        Biologist
        Catoctin Mountain Park
        6602 Foxville Road
        Thurmont, MD 21788
        301 416 0536

        "Peter Bernhardt"
        <bernhap2@...> To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        Sent by: cc: (bcc: Becky Loncosky/CATO/NPS)
        beemonitoring@yaho Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Bees on Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa)
        ogroups.com

        01/05/2009 01:59
        PM CST
        Please respond to
        beemonitoring

        Dear becky:

        You're right. This is an unusual request but it may be easy to answer.
        Currently, the authority on the pollination biology of Cimicifuga in North
        America and Europe is Dr. Olle Pellmyr. He first started studying cohosh
        in the 1980's. He had a paper on the pollination of Cimicifuga arizonica
        in the 1985 edition of The Botanical Gazette and he has a new paper (2008)
        on the pollination of European Cimicifuga in the Nordic Journal of Botany.
        Here is Dr. Pellmyr's most recent address

        Dr. Olle Pellmyr
        Department of Botany
        Washington State University
        Pullman, Washington 99164

        I think that someone published a paper on the pollination of C. racemosa
        back in the late 60's or 70's. It's not online but I am certain that Dr.
        Pellmyr has this reference. He can look up the paper and send the list of
        bumblebee species associated with the flowers.

        There's another possibility. Wait for the plants to bloom in spring.
        Catch and kill the bumblebees and then send them in for identification
        after the specimens have been painted. That, after all, is how John James
        Audubon did it for the birds of North America.

        Peter

        On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 12:01 PM, <becky_loncosky@...> wrote:

        Hi all,

        This is going to be an unusual request, but I got an email from an
        artist
        who is working on a set of botanical
        watercolors of species present in Catoctin Mountain Park (in northern
        Maryland), inquiring about species of
        bumble bees (or other bees) that she could include on a painting of
        black
        cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa). She likes to keep the paintings as true
        life as she can. Any ideas?

        Thanks for your time.

        Becky Loncosky
        Biologist
        Catoctin Mountain Park
        6602 Foxville Road
        Thurmont, MD 21788
        301 416 0536
      • Joe Metzger
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
          Becky,

                    I'm new to bee identification, but I don't ever recall seeing Bumble Bees or any large bee on Black Cohosh. I vaguely recall seeing small beetles.

                    Since Black Cohosh normally grows in mature forest and in this area blooms in July, I would doubt if any large bee polinates it.

                                                            Joe

          To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
          From: becky_loncosky@...
          Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:54:05 -0500
          Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Bees on Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa)

          <bernhap2@slu. edu> To: beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009

            That is an excellent point, however black cohosh is also cultivated as an herbal remedy plant, and some growers plant it in sunny locations where it is popular with all types of pollinators. At least, that is what a grower stated on his website.

            Guess it depends on how the artist wants to portray the plant in the picture--in natural forest habitat with beetles or sunnier cultivation with bees.

            --Deana Crumbling
            Deana Crumbling
            ph: 703-603-0643

            To: beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009
              I've seen bumblebees and smaller bees, as well as a variety of other
              insects on it, even in fairly shady sites, fyi. Unfortunately, I
              don't have photos of bumblebees (too dark for good photos, I think),
              but will keep an eye open and try to remedy that in July. Nancy