Bees on Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa)

  • becky_loncosky@nps.gov
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
      Hi all,

      This is going to be an unusual request, but I got an email from an artist
      who is working on a set of botanical
      watercolors of species present in Catoctin Mountain Park (in northern
      Maryland), inquiring about species of
      bumble bees (or other bees) that she could include on a painting of black
      cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa). She likes to keep the paintings as true to
      life as she can. Any ideas?

      Thanks for your time.

      Becky Loncosky
      Biologist
      Catoctin Mountain Park
      6602 Foxville Road
      Thurmont, MD 21788
      301 416 0536
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
        Dear becky:

        You're right.  This is an unusual request but it may be easy to answer.  Currently, the authority on the pollination biology of Cimicifuga in North America and Europe is Dr. Olle Pellmyr.  He first started studying cohosh in the 1980's.  He had a paper on the pollination of Cimicifuga arizonica in the 1985 edition of The Botanical Gazette and he has a new paper (2008) on the pollination of European Cimicifuga in the Nordic Journal of Botany.  Here is Dr. Pellmyr's most recent address

        Dr. Olle Pellmyr
        Department of Botany
        Washington State University
        Pullman, Washington 99164

        I think that someone published a paper on the pollination of C. racemosa back in the late 60's or 70's.  It's not online but I am certain that Dr. Pellmyr has this reference. He can look up the paper and send the list of bumblebee species associated with the flowers.

        There's another possibility.  Wait for the plants to bloom in spring.  Catch and kill the bumblebees and then send them in for identification after the specimens have been painted.  That, after all, is how John James Audubon did it for the birds of North America.

        Peter

      • Crumbling.Deana@epamail.epa.gov
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
          You probably can't go wrong with Bombus impatiens (common eastern
          bumblebee). It is very, very common and very much a generalist--seems
          to visit anything & everything. Black cohosh is reported to be very
          popular with bees & flies, so there is no reason why B. impatiens would
          stay away.

          --Deana Crumbling

          |------------>
          | From: |
          |------------>
          >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
          |becky_loncosky@... |
          >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
          |------------>
          | To: |
          |------------>
          |beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com |
          >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
          |------------>
          | Date: |
          |------------>
          >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
          |01/05/2009 01:01 PM |
          >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
          |------------>
          | Subject: |
          |------------>
          >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
          |[beemonitoring] Bees on Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa) |

          .
        • becky_loncosky@nps.gov
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
            Thanks Peter,

            I forwarded the information on to the artist in case she wants to do
            further research.

            Becky Loncosky
            Biologist
            Catoctin Mountain Park
            6602 Foxville Road
            Thurmont, MD 21788
            301 416 0536

            "Peter Bernhardt"
            <bernhap2@...> To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            Sent by: cc: (bcc: Becky Loncosky/CATO/NPS)
            beemonitoring@yaho Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Bees on Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa)
            ogroups.com

            01/05/2009 01:59
            PM CST
            Please respond to
            beemonitoring

[...]

          • Joe Metzger
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
              Becky,

                        I'm new to bee identification, but I don't ever recall seeing Bumble Bees or any large bee on Black Cohosh. I vaguely recall seeing small beetles.

                        Since Black Cohosh normally grows in mature forest and in this area blooms in July, I would doubt if any large bee polinates it.

                                                                Joe

              To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
              From: becky_loncosky@...
              Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:54:05 -0500
              Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Bees on Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa)

              <bernhap2@slu. edu> To: beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009

                That is an excellent point, however black cohosh is also cultivated as an herbal remedy plant, and some growers plant it in sunny locations where it is popular with all types of pollinators. At least, that is what a grower stated on his website.

                Guess it depends on how the artist wants to portray the plant in the picture--in natural forest habitat with beetles or sunnier cultivation with bees.

                --Deana Crumbling
                Deana Crumbling
                ph: 703-603-0643

                To: beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009
                  I've seen bumblebees and smaller bees, as well as a variety of other
                  insects on it, even in fairly shady sites, fyi. Unfortunately, I
                  don't have photos of bumblebees (too dark for good photos, I think),
                  but will keep an eye open and try to remedy that in July. Nancy