RE: [beemonitoring] overwintering by our bees

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 24, 2008

      Elaine- let’s see if I can get this right.  First, as I understand it, the primitively eusocial sweat bees (Halictinae) do like your bumble bees, gynes emerging in fall, mating, hanging out as adults somewhere, then starting nests come spring.  For non-social bees, many of the early spring species overwinter as adults in their natal nest cells, ready to go with the first warm days.  Sometimes this encompasses entire genera, such as Osmia, even the summer-flying species of Osmia (which baffles us).  Many other summer-flying bees overwinter as prepupae, and so need some days of warmth the following year to complete development.  Other folks can round this out for you. I can’t recollect of any specific publication that tabulates this for bee taxa of any region, handy as it would be.  Maybe someone will know of a source.

      Yours,

      jim

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University , Logan , UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      "Seek simplicity but distrust it."