Re: Draft Everyman's Guide to Xylocopa

  • leifrichardson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 21, 2008
      Sam,
      I've been collecting carpenter bees--and other people's records of
      them-- in Vermont. They seem to reach the northern edge of their range
      in several towns along the Massachusetts border (e.g. Bennington,
      Brattleboro, Vernon). They apparently don't come farther north than
      this (yet). I can send you specimen data if you want.

      Leif

      in --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, Sam Droege <sdroege@...>
      wrote:

      > All:
      >
      > Jim Cane and I have put together a draft Everyman Guide to Carpenter
      Bees

      ?

      > Time of Year: All season but with peaks of activity in the late
      > spring/early summer; in SE, peak began with redbud bloom.
      >
      > General Look and Feel: Large, the size of bumblebees and some
      species as
      > large as the largest bumblebee; most of the time the largest bee
      around;
      > told from the similar looking bumblebees by the combination of all
      black
      > abdomen (most bumblebees have some yellow or red hairs present) and
      that
      > those hairs on the abdomen are sparse enough to clearly see the
      shining
      > integument (skin) below; most males with a white spot on their face;
      when
      > resting, Xylocopa hold their wings splayed some to the sides
      (resembling
      > swept-backjet fighter wings), not neatly overlapped down the back
      like
      > bumblebees.
      >

      > Stinging: (Anyone with direct experience of Xylocopa stings?)?low
      to no
      > concern. Note that males are territorial and will hover in front of
      you
      > if you are near a nesting area, but they cannot sting (males of all
      bees
      > have no stingers) and the females do not defend their nests and are
      not
      > often seen unless they are nesting in your house!
      >
      > Nesting Site: In nature, the female excavates nesting tunnels in
      the dead
      > wood of standing trees or, in some western species, in yucca and
      agave
      > flower stalks. In the eastern and central regions the Eastern
      Carpenter
      > Bee (Xylocopa virginica) nests commonly in exposed lumber of houses,
      > decks, and outdoor wooden furniture.
      >
      > Overwintering Site: Groups of adult males and females overwinter in
      their
      > nest sites.
      >
      > Favorite Flowers: Will visit a wide variety of flowers; often slits
      the
      > base of tubular or narrow flowers such as blueberry which are too
      small to
      > fit into and too long for their short tongues; often conspicuous on
      > leguminous flowers such as Lupines, Wisteria, and Locust in the
      spring.

      > Interesting Xylocopa Factoids:
      > - Most are largest of North American bees (other than some
      queen
      > bumblebees)
      > - Males are territorial and defend their nests unlike most
      other
      > groups of bees, have much larger eyes than females, and are one of
      the few
      > bees that hover.
      > - Unlike most species of bees which live for less than a year,
      > adults of some species live up to 3 years.
      > - Species that live in deserts will line their nest cavities
      with
      > wax-like substances to retain moisture in their nests.
      > - Has the largest insect egg in the world (0.6 inches, 15mm).
      > - The tunnels of the Eastern Carpenter Bee are reused each
      year with
      > new side chambers created each season; their tunnels, while at times
      > extensive, never intersect nor accidentally run outside of the
      branch or
      > board or even wooden tool handle they are nesting in.
      > - It takes many years for carpenter bees to cause significant
      > structural damage; damage can be minimized by sealing nesting holes
      (1/2?
      > lengths of wood dowel fit X. virginica tunnels tightly), using
      smooth
      > painted wood, and providing alternative nesting sites in cedar
      (their
      > preferred nesting materials in the East).
      >

      > Web Sites and Technical ID Guides:
      > http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Xylocopa
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_bee
      > http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pollinators/pollinator-of-the-
      month/carpenter_bees.shtml

      > How to Attract: Some species will nest in wooden timbers (softwoods
      such
      > as cedar and pine often preferred) in which one half inch holes have
      been
      > drilled. A diverse and season long assemblage of blooming plants
      will
      > attract Xylocopa.
      >
      > P Please don't print this e-mail unless really needed.

    • Jack Neff
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 22, 2008
        Sam  Currently in Argentina so my database isn}t handy but I believe there are 5 species of carpenter bees in Texas, which is usually considered E of the Rockies.

        Jack