RE: [beemonitoring] Prairie biofuel surveys

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008

      Elaine- Ceratina and maybe Hylaeus come to mind as cavity nesters for your herbacous prairie vegetation, maybe the smaller megachilids too.  Flight vagility will vary with body size, and dispersal distances into trap blocks may not correspond with foraging distances.  Prairies have been hayed for more than a century, and burned for much longer than that, so cavity-nesters that are still around must have been putting up with this for a long time.  Indeed, land use history on those plots will be important to know.  I am inclined to agree with you, that of all the ways you could modify prairie, this one probably will be among those with least impact on bee faunas.  Now if it enocouraged more prairie restorations because it gave them value, why that might even be good!

      PS You are familiar with the several papers by Catherine Reed on tall grass prairie bee faunas, I presume.

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University , Logan , UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      "Seek simplicity but distrust it."
      Alfred North Whitehead

    • Charles Guevara
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2008
           Hello, Elaine, thanks to 'orthography' we have a pretty much :east to west precipitation gradient in going west from Ohio valley.  Our praries 'grasses' consequently differ in their assemblage-ecosystems...going :east to west.  Growth season for regions along this gradient(east to west) are strongly adapted/linked to precipitation.
           Your rather unclear description of: 'harvest protocol', but note of:'September harvest'....leads to asking you: what criteria of 'growth-season recovery' are you using?
        Precipitation being the driver  of growthseason, have you first (our praries severely fragmented already in con-US)...have you first honestly defined 'prarie growthseason for Mn, in times of drought?'.  Always a temptation in 'celulosic fuel protocols' to follow the 'energyyield of a particular resource plant'...and ignore the community assemblage...sort of 'a drift to monoculture', rather than prarie stewardship.
           Long story short, what criteria are you using for 'growthseason recovery' in your various treatments?    charlie guevara NJ,US