Re: [beemonitoring] video camera for recording bee visits?

  • Retha Meier
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2008
      Dear Carla,

      I would check with the National Geographic Photography Team and see what they would recommend.  You could also check with a photography store.  I have not used a video camera to record visitations, but have thought about it.  If you find out any information, will you let me know?

      Sincerely,

      Retha Meier, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor
      Saint Louis University
      (314) 977-7111

      On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Carla Essenberg <cesse001@...> wrote:

      Does anyone know of a video camera good enough to record visitation
      rates of moderately small bees (i.e., halictids)? I would want to use
      it on plants that are about 2 feet high and have flowers at variable
      heights, and it would probably only be useful if I could observe an
      area of 9 ft2 or larger. Being able to distinguish different taxa
      (like bumblebees vs. honeybees vs. halictids vs. flies) would be nice
      but not absolutely necessary. Of course, it would also be a plus if
      it didn't cost a fortune.

      I'll be grateful for any recommendations.

      Thanks,

      Carla Essenberg
      Ph.D. student
      University of California-Riverside

    • Carla Essenberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2008
        Dear Dr. Meier,

        Thanks for the suggestions. I have gotten a couple of replies back
        with suggestions about how to record visitation to individual flowers
        - if you are ever interested in doing that, you might want to contact
        Bernard Vaissière, who is the research leader and a Crop Pollination
        Ecologist at INRA in Avignon, France (vaissier@...). He
        has a prototype system for filming bees on individual flowers which
        sounds pretty nice - it apparently only records visits and the footage
        is good enough that he can often get IDs down to species. He says his
        current equipment is a little out of date, but he's working on an
        improved system.

        I'll let you know if I find out anything else that sounds especially promising.

        Cheers,

        Carla