Re: [beemonitoring] video camera for recording bee visits?

  • Charles Guevara
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2008
         Hello Carla, this past summer right through to 10/08 (northeast Nj/NY border region), our herb garden had both the 5-6ft high Fennel , and wild Peppermint planting hosting constant and tumoltuous air traffic of all sorts of bees,wasps,hornets coming and going, often bumping into eachother as each made visits to flower head after flower head in sequential order.

         Because of a 9-10ft high border hedge, these pollen gatherers/?feeders? from the flower heads , these flying visitors had to use a standard 'flight coridor/standard flight path'.

         Perhaps whatever camera system you setup...devise a flight path to your flowers that directs the insects past your setup .

         Consider speciffically potting and elevating that choice of plant which you deterime to be the attractor for your ooptical data collection.  But the shelterd optical system  can even have a background ruler and clockface, just devise a flight corridor to have the flying visitors directed past your camera setup. First allow visitors to find and utilize your attractant plant of choice, then in stages (a few days each increment of the flight-corridor is sturdily setup), in stages setup the directing flight corridor.   charlie guevara  NJ,US

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2008
        Dear Carla,

        I would check with the National Geographic Photography Team and see what they would recommend.  You could also check with a photography store.  I have not used a video camera to record visitations, but have thought about it.  If you find out any information, will you let me know?

        Sincerely,

        Retha Meier, Ph.D.
        Associate Professor
        Saint Louis University
        (314) 977-7111

        On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Carla Essenberg <cesse001@...> wrote:

        Does anyone know of a video camera good enough to record visitation
        rates of moderately small bees (i.e., halictids)? I would want to use
        it on plants that are about 2 feet high and have flowers at variable
        heights, and it would probably only be useful if I could observe an
        area of 9 ft2 or larger. Being able to distinguish different taxa
        (like bumblebees vs. honeybees vs. halictids vs. flies) would be nice
        but not absolutely necessary. Of course, it would also be a plus if
        it didn't cost a fortune.

        I'll be grateful for any recommendations.

        Thanks,

        Carla Essenberg
        Ph.D. student
        University of California-Riverside

      • Carla Essenberg
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2008
          Dear Dr. Meier,

          Thanks for the suggestions. I have gotten a couple of replies back
          with suggestions about how to record visitation to individual flowers
          - if you are ever interested in doing that, you might want to contact
          Bernard Vaissière, who is the research leader and a Crop Pollination
          Ecologist at INRA in Avignon, France (vaissier@...). He
          has a prototype system for filming bees on individual flowers which
          sounds pretty nice - it apparently only records visits and the footage
          is good enough that he can often get IDs down to species. He says his
          current equipment is a little out of date, but he's working on an
          improved system.

          I'll let you know if I find out anything else that sounds especially promising.

          Cheers,

          Carla