video camera for recording bee visits?

  • Carla Essenberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2008
      Does anyone know of a video camera good enough to record visitation
      rates of moderately small bees (i.e., halictids)? I would want to use
      it on plants that are about 2 feet high and have flowers at variable
      heights, and it would probably only be useful if I could observe an
      area of 9 ft2 or larger. Being able to distinguish different taxa
      (like bumblebees vs. honeybees vs. halictids vs. flies) would be nice
      but not absolutely necessary. Of course, it would also be a plus if
      it didn't cost a fortune.

      I'll be grateful for any recommendations.

      Thanks,

      Carla Essenberg
      Ph.D. student
      University of California-Riverside
    • Charles Guevara
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2008
           Hello Carla, this past summer right through to 10/08 (northeast Nj/NY border region), our herb garden had both the 5-6ft high Fennel , and wild Peppermint planting hosting constant and tumoltuous air traffic of all sorts of bees,wasps,hornets coming and going, often bumping into eachother as each made visits to flower head after flower head in sequential order.

           Because of a 9-10ft high border hedge, these pollen gatherers/?feeders? from the flower heads , these flying visitors had to use a standard 'flight coridor/standard flight path'.

           Perhaps whatever camera system you setup...devise a flight path to your flowers that directs the insects past your setup .

           Consider speciffically potting and elevating that choice of plant which you deterime to be the attractor for your ooptical data collection.  But the shelterd optical system  can even have a background ruler and clockface, just devise a flight corridor to have the flying visitors directed past your camera setup. First allow visitors to find and utilize your attractant plant of choice, then in stages (a few days each increment of the flight-corridor is sturdily setup), in stages setup the directing flight corridor.   charlie guevara  NJ,US

        Does anyone know of a video camera good enough to record visitation
        rates of moderately small bees (i.e., halictids)?  I would want to use
        it on plants that are about 2 feet high and have flowers at variable
        heights, and it would probably only be useful if I could observe an
        area of 9 ft2 or larger.  Being able to distinguish different taxa
        (like bumblebees vs. honeybees vs. halictids vs. flies) would be nice
        but not absolutely necessary.  Of course, it would also be a plus if
        it didn't cost a fortune.

        I'll be grateful for any recommendations.

        Thanks,

        Carla Essenberg
        Ph.D. student
        University of California-Riverside

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:beemonitoring-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:beemonitoring-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Retha Meier
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2008
          Dear Carla,

          I would check with the National Geographic Photography Team and see what they would recommend.  You could also check with a photography store.  I have not used a video camera to record visitations, but have thought about it.  If you find out any information, will you let me know?

          Sincerely,

          Retha Meier, Ph.D.
          Associate Professor
          Saint Louis University
          (314) 977-7111

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2008
            Dear Dr. Meier,

            Thanks for the suggestions. I have gotten a couple of replies back
            with suggestions about how to record visitation to individual flowers
            - if you are ever interested in doing that, you might want to contact
            Bernard Vaissière, who is the research leader and a Crop Pollination
            Ecologist at INRA in Avignon, France (vaissier@...). He
            has a prototype system for filming bees on individual flowers which
            sounds pretty nice - it apparently only records visits and the footage
            is good enough that he can often get IDs down to species. He says his
            current equipment is a little out of date, but he's working on an
            improved system.

            I'll let you know if I find out anything else that sounds especially promising.

            Cheers,

            Carla