Re: [beemonitoring] A prototype Bee Genera Fact Sheet for the General Public

  • Leslie Saul
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 28, 2008
      Re: [beemonitoring] A prototype Bee Genera Fact Sheet for
      Hi Sam,

      I think your headings are great and idea of simple easily adaptable fact sheets that are inexpensive to produce  are a good idea.

      Having managed a large consortium of institutions we realized that sometimes large institutions like to put their own logos on their own fact sheets/materials that they distribute so that they get local recognition so providing the fact sheets electronically gives them the opportunity to insert their logo along side of the other logos as well .

      I am attaching some fact sheets we distributed to the general public and teachers (circa 1991 NSF funded) prior to color printer capabilities, which were easy for schools to xerox.  This was the front side of the sheet, the back side had the life cycle illustration and migratory route illustration.

      Best,

      Leslie

      sam

      Everyman's Guide to The Common Groups of Bees

      Scientific Name:  Ceratina (sara-TINE-uh)

      Common Name:  Small Carpenter Bee

      Approximate Number of Species in Canada:  6

      Approximate Number of Species East of the Rockies:  6

      Approximate Number of Species West of the Rockies:  17

      Approximate Number of Species in Mexico:  ?

      General Abundance in Eastern Gardens:  Common to Abundant

      General Abundance in Western Gardens:  ?

      Time of Year:  Throughout the bee season

      General Look and Feel:  Size of a single long-grain rice kernel; dark metallic blue (often looks black) with prominent white mark on face;  skinny, lacks obvious hair, abdomen parallel-sided and ribbed like a plastic water bottle; tip of abdomen with a small projecting point.

      Stinging:  (Anyone with direct experience of Ceratina stings?)Šlow to no concern.

      Nesting Site:  The female excavates a nest from the broken ends of brambles and shrubs with large soft pith.

      Overwintering Site:  Adult males and females overwinter in their nest sites.

      Favorite Flowers:  Occurs on almost all types of flowers.

      Interesting Ceratina Factoids:
      -        A few species are extremely small, going down to about 1/8th inch (3mm).
      -        Seems to profit from heavy deer browse

      Web Sites and Technical ID Guides:
      http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Ceratina
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratina

      How to Attract:  Plant a diverse assemblage of flowering shrubs and perennials to provide pollen and nectar throughout the season;  benefits from yearly brushhogging of at least a portion of shrubby fields to generate nesting sites and rejuvenate flowering resources; remove trees from old fields.

      Attributions:  Thanks to John Ascher for use of his list of North American bee species.

      A Chippewa tail of how the Hell-diver got its name as told to Wells Cooke and published in the
      first volume of Auk in 1884.

      "One on a time the Great Spirit looked down on all the beasts and
      birds and saw that their lives were one dull round of monotonous
      toil. So he told them to assemble at a certain place and he
      would teach them many beautiful games.  He built an immense
      wigwam, and at the appointed time all were there except the Grebe.
      He made fun of the whole matter, and said he knew tricks enough
      already.

      While the Great Spirit was instructing the assemblage, the Grebe
      danced in  derision before the door, and finally, emboldened by
      the forbearance of his master, ran into the room, and by dancing
      on the fire, put it out and filled the wigwam with smoke.  Then
      the patience of the Great Spirit could stand it no longer, and
      giving the Grebe a kick, he exclaimed, 'Deformed shalt thou go
      through this world for the rest of thy days!'  The imperial foot
      struck him just at the base of the tail.  It knocked the body
      forward, but the legs remained behind, and the Grebe has ever
      since had the legs set so far back on the body that it cannot
      walk."

      Leslie Saul-Gershenz
      Director of Conservation
      SaveNature.Org (Center For Ecosystem Survival)
      699 Mississippi Street, Suite 106
      San Francisco, California  94107
      USA

      PH: 415.648.3390
      FX:  415.824.6526

      http://www.savenature.org

      http://www.lsaul.com

      SaveNature.Org is celebrating its 20th Anniversary this year! We have promoted conservation by raising and donating $3.5 million to purchase and protect healthy terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems throughout Latin America, the Pacific and the Caribbean and our newest project in Namibia.

      Our Insect Discovery Lab® conducts 700 hands-on science programs for children annually using live insects and their relatives teaching about biodiversity conservation, the interconnectedness of ecosystems to promote science literacy and to directly connect children to nature. We have been promoting the use of local native plants for wildlife gardening to enhance pollinator habitats through our programs, fact sheets and website since our founding in 1988.

      SaveNature.Org headquarters are in SF but is a broad consortium of over 140 institutions from the U.S. and Canada. We work with schools across the US in all 50 states. In 2006, one of our students that we inspired won the Eco-Hero award from Action for Nature. Our programs continue to inspire children throughout the world.