RE: [beemonitoring] A few slots available in the December and February Bee ID workshops

  • Norment, Jeff - Bangor, ME
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2008
      Sam,

      Are all the workshops held in Maryland?

      _____________________________________

      Jeff Norment
      NRCS Biologist
      967 Illinois Ave, Suite #3
      Bangor, ME  04401
      Phone: (207) 990-9571
      Fax: (207) 990-9599
      E-mail: jeff.norment@...

      From: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com [mailto:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Sam Droege
      Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 9:53 AM
      To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [beemonitoring] A few slots available in the December and February Bee ID workshops

      All:

      We have 2 scheduled bee identification workshops coming up one December 1-5 and the other February 9 - 13.  We have made those dates available to everyone who has been in our list of interested parties for several weeks now but there are still a few slots available in each workshop so we are opening it up to anyone else who would like to take one of the ID courses.  Even if you can't make the dates listed let me know so that I can add you to our notification list for first dibs on future workshops.

      I have included below a schedule from one of last year's workshops so you can get a sense of what we cover.

      First come, first serve.

      Email me off-line at sdroege@usgs. gov

      Thanks

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@usgs. gov
      Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

      Two Doctors in the camp
      Dissected the slain deer, weighed the trout's brain,
      Captured the lizard, salamander, shrew,
      Crab, mice, snail, dragon-fly, minnow and moth;
      Insatiate skill in water or in air
      Waved the scoop-net, and nothing came amiss;
      The while, one leaden pot of alcohol
      Gave an impartial tomb to all the kinds.
         -Ralph Waldo Emerson - The Adirondacks, A Journal

      Native Bee Identification Workshop

      Native Bee Inventory and Monitoring Laboratory
      USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
      Laurel, Maryland

      Sam Droege
      USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center

      Rob Jean
      Indiana State University

      Objectives:  Our overall objective is to create a pool of researchers, technicians, and advanced amateurs who can accurately identify bees to species for both their studies and more importantly for others, whether for pay or not.   Lack of institutional identification experience has led to many errors in native bee research and monitoring and currently limits the creation of any extensive monitoring programs.  The status of most bee populations is currently completely unknown.  Participants in this workshop can change that.

      Number of participants:  12

      Facilities:  Our laboratory is located on the campus of the USDA Beltsville Research Center.  The agriculture campus is approximately 24,000 acres of agriculture, research facilities, and native habitats.  Patuxent Wildlife Research Center and National Wildlife Refuge are immediately adjacent and represent another 15,000 acres of high quality bee habitat.  We will be using our lab room, which houses our collection and specimens and another lab room nearby for expansion space.  Participants will have complete access to the collection, computers, and instructors throughout the time.  Additionally, we have a large collection of surplus bees that are available to all participants to take back with them.

      Cost and Daily Logistics:  There is no cost to attend this workshop.  Lodging and food costs are borne by the participants.  In the building there is a complete kitchen with stove, microwave, and refrigerators.  There are a variety of restaurants nearby that will deliver ethnic and traditional food.

      Coffee will be available at all times!

      Daily Schedule:  A combination of lab, talks, discussions, and lots of microscope and guide work.  Microscope work and identification guides will be emphasized.

      The lab will be open throughout the day and night; the instructors will arrive before 9:00 a.m. At 9:00 a.m. each day we will meet and discuss the options for the day and the remainder of the week.

      In addition to plenty of time investigating specimens under microscopes, the following topics will be covered during twice daily talks/discussions:

      Day 1– Introduction to bee terminology, identification strategies, genera characteristics, genera gestalts, microscope use

      Day 2 – Introduction to bowl trapping, netting, processing of specimens, databasing, information and collection management

      Day 3 – Genera life histories, relative abundance, distribution

      Day 4 – Work on specimens – Supper and party at Sam’s

      Day 5 – Survey Techniques - Work on specimens and wrap-up

      Daily Schedule:

      9:00 a.m. – Lecture by Sam Droege or Rob Jean on issues of bee taxonomy, bee natural history, statistical sampling, bee identification work, field techniques

      10:30 a.m. – Participants work with specimens and guides with instructor’s guidance

      1:00 p.m. – Lunch and lecture by Sam Droege and Rob Jean on issues of bee taxonomy, bee natural history, statistical sampling, bee identification work, field techniques

      2:30 – 6:00 p.m. - Participants work with specimens and guides with instructor’s guidance

      Directions and a map to Patuxent are at the link below, but please note you will want to go to the Beltsville Laboratory not the Main Campus.  We are in room 124 and you do not need to get a visitor’s pass as indicated:

      http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov/ aboutus/direct. cfm

      Local lodging is listed at the web site below:

      http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov/ aboutus/lodging. cfm

      Things to bring:

      •        Specimens you would like to identify
      •        Pins
      •        Specimen Boxes - Specimen boxes and pins will be available for a small fee
      •        Note that we will have at least 4 very high quality microscopes here as well as 6 of the standard type of microscopes and lights.  You may want to bring your own microscope and light both because it will be familiar to you and because it may be better than our standard scopes.
      •        If you have them: Michener et al.’s book on the Bee Genera of North America (available for sale at www.knoxcellars. com) and, in particular, Mitchell’s 2 volumes on the Bees of the East (out of print but sometimes available via used book stores) will be useful.  Single copies of both will be available.

      Contact Information:

      Please contact Sam Droege at:
      Work 301-497-5840
      Home 301-390-7759
      sdroege@usgs. gov

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2008

        You can email me, however, to be put on the waiting list.

                The Arrival of the Bee Box

        I ordered this, clean wood box
        Square as a chair and almost too heavy to lift.
        I would say it was the coffin of a midget
        Or a square baby
        Were there not such a din in it.

        The box is locked, it is dangerous.
        I have to live with it overnight
        And I can't keep away from it.
        There are no windows, so I can't see what is in there.
        There is only a little grid, no exit.

        I put my eye to the grid.
        It is dark, dark,
        With the swarmy feeling of African hands
        Minute and shrunk for export,
        Black on black, angrily clambering.

        How can I let them out?
        It is the noise that appalls me most of all,
        The unintelligible syllables.
        It is like a Roman mob,
        Small, taken one by one, but my god, together!

        I lay my ear to furious Latin.
        I am not a Caesar.
        I have simply ordered a box of maniacs.
        They can be sent back.
        They can die, I need feed them nothing, I am the owner.

        I wonder how hungry they are.
        I wonder if they would forget me
        If I just undid the locks and stood back and turned into a tree.
        There is the laburnum, its blond colonnades,
        And the petticoats of the cherry.

        They might ignore me immediately
        In my moon suit and funeral veil.
        I am no source of honey
        So why should they turn on me?
        Tomorrow I will be sweet God, I will set them free.

        The box is only temporary.

        Sylvia Plath

      • paqinc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2008
          Sam:  Can you also put me on wait list?  Or on whatever workshop comes next.

          thanks,

          Pat

          Pat Quigley, PP, AICP
          PAQ Inc.
          1080 Quarry Hall Road
          Norristown, PA 19403
          office: (610) 584-1829
          fax: (610) 584-6331
          e-mail: PAQINC@...

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2008
            Jeff:

            The free ones are all in MD.  There is a scheduled for pay one (for non doi employees) in April at the NCTC in WV but I have a gut feeling that it will be cancelled due to lack of enrollment (likely to the existence of the free ones).

            sam