Re: [beemonitoring] A few slots available in the December and February Bee ID workshops

  • heather8@vt.edu
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2008
      Hi there, I was wondering if you still have any space available for the February
      workshop because I still need to ID some of my bees for a project that I'm doing
      on native pollinators of cucurbits. Thanks

      Heather Andrews

    • Yong Park
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2008
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2008

        • nancy lee adamson
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2008
            Hi, Sam, I still have not really gotten started.  It's insane. I'm still pinning (took a full load of classes, so all's on hold).  Anyway, I have lots to do here and good space to work (and I feel good about using the keys on my own since visiting last year), but will eventually need to seek your help again and wonder if for you it's better to have random folks like me try to visit during the workshop times, since you're set up for wandering around answering questions.  If so, would you please let me know the dates of the workshops and if you'd want a semi-wanderer to add to a group?  I seem to have missed them.  Thanks.  Nancy

          • Norment, Jeff - Bangor, ME
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2008
              Sam,

              Are all the workshops held in Maryland?

              _____________________________________

              Jeff Norment
              NRCS Biologist
              967 Illinois Ave, Suite #3
              Bangor, ME  04401
              Phone: (207) 990-9571
              Fax: (207) 990-9599
              E-mail: jeff.norment@...

              We have 2 scheduled bee identification workshops coming up one December 1-5 and the other February 9 - 13.  We have made those dates available to everyone who has been in our list of interested parties for several weeks now but there are still a few slots available in each workshop so we are opening it up to anyone else who would like to take one of the ID courses.  Even if you can't make the dates listed let me know so that I can add you to our notification list for first dibs on future workshops.

              I have included below a schedule from one of last year's workshops so you can get a sense of what we cover.

              First come, first serve.

              Email me off-line at sdroege@usgs. gov

              Thanks

              sam

              Sam Droege  sdroege@usgs. gov
[...]

              1:00 p.m. – Lunch and lecture by Sam Droege and Rob Jean on issues of bee taxonomy, bee natural history, statistical sampling, bee identification work, field techniques

              sdroege@usgs. gov

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 6, 2008

                You can email me, however, to be put on the waiting list.

                        The Arrival of the Bee Box

                I ordered this, clean wood box
                Square as a chair and almost too heavy to lift.
                I would say it was the coffin of a midget
                Or a square baby
                Were there not such a din in it.

                The box is locked, it is dangerous.
                I have to live with it overnight
                And I can't keep away from it.
                There are no windows, so I can't see what is in there.
                There is only a little grid, no exit.

                I put my eye to the grid.
                It is dark, dark,
                With the swarmy feeling of African hands
                Minute and shrunk for export,
                Black on black, angrily clambering.

                How can I let them out?
                It is the noise that appalls me most of all,
                The unintelligible syllables.
                It is like a Roman mob,
                Small, taken one by one, but my god, together!

                I lay my ear to furious Latin.
                I am not a Caesar.
                I have simply ordered a box of maniacs.
                They can be sent back.
                They can die, I need feed them nothing, I am the owner.

                I wonder how hungry they are.
                I wonder if they would forget me
                If I just undid the locks and stood back and turned into a tree.
                There is the laburnum, its blond colonnades,
                And the petticoats of the cherry.

                They might ignore me immediately
                In my moon suit and funeral veil.
                I am no source of honey
                So why should they turn on me?
                Tomorrow I will be sweet God, I will set them free.

                The box is only temporary.

                Sylvia Plath

              • paqinc@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 7, 2008
                  Sam:  Can you also put me on wait list?  Or on whatever workshop comes next.

                  thanks,

                  Pat

                  Pat Quigley, PP, AICP
                  PAQ Inc.
                  1080 Quarry Hall Road
                  Norristown, PA 19403
                  office: (610) 584-1829
                  fax: (610) 584-6331
                  e-mail: PAQINC@...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 7, 2008
                    Jeff:

                    The free ones are all in MD.  There is a scheduled for pay one (for non doi employees) in April at the NCTC in WV but I have a gut feeling that it will be cancelled due to lack of enrollment (likely to the existence of the free ones).

                    sam