RE: [beemonitoring] Cliff Bees

  • Frye, Jennifer
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2008

      Thanks to both of you for the information!  I will take your advice and request A Cluster of Bees.  I remember seeing the Anthophora colony at Sam’s place, but didn’t make the connection that these were the same type of bees nesting on the sandy cliffs.

      Much thanks!

      Jen Frye

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 2008
        Jennifer: Anthophora abrupta is an excellent bet for your bees since they nest in banks and their robust size and black and white/off yellow coloration can lead to their mis-identification as bumble bees. This is a rather well studied species and useful references on its biology include Beth Norden (1984), "Nesting biology of Anthophora abrupta (Hymenoptera: Anthophoridae)" Journal of the Kansas Entomogical Society 57: 243-262; Phil Rau, (1929) The biology and behavior of mining bees Anthophora abrupta and Entechnia taurea, Psyche 36: 155-181; Beth Norden and Suzanne Batra (1985) "Male bees sport black mustaches for picking up parsnip perfume (Hymenoptera: Anthophoridae)", Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 87: 312-322.