Re: [beemonitoring] Cliff Bees

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2008

      Hi Jen:

      I am going to guess that the bumblebee type things are an aggregation of Anthophora abrupta nests.  I know that Warren Steiner has collected them from cliffs along the Chesapeake Bay and I have them nesting in the adobe walls of my house.  To any but the most experienced they would appear almost exactly like bumblebees.

      Here is a picture that Karen Goodell took of the Anthophora colony at my house:

      They have now expanded to include that entire section.  They are a lot of fun to watch with an interesting mix of nest parasites and hangers on.  The don't defend their nests and nobody in the house has been stung or bothered by the nest site.

      I rose from marsh mud

      I rose from marsh mud,
      algae, equisetum, willows,
      sweet green, noisy
      birds and frogs

      to see her wed in the rich
      rich silence of the church,
      the little white slave-girl
      in her diamond fronds.

      In aisle and arch
      the satin secret collects.
      United for life to serve
      silver. Possessed.

            -Lorine Niedecker

      "Frye, Jennifer" <jfrye@...>
      Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      10/28/2008 04:38 PM

      Please respond to
      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
      cc
      Subject
      [beemonitoring] Cliff Bees

      Hi everyone,

      I had a question I thought perhaps one or more of you could answer.  Twice in the last year, I have been asked my colleagues about bees nesting in cliffs.  Both sightings were in Maryland, one along the Potomac River in Charles County and the other along the Sassafras River in Kent County.  Both sites had sandy cliffs along the beach, and bees were apparently nesting in the sand on the cliff faces.  At one site, the landowner said that the bees nesting in the cliffs looked like small bumblebees, and that during the summer they come down to the water’s edge to drink(?)  Any ideas on what kind of bees they might be?  I have not actually seen them myself but am wondering if it is worth a trip to collect some next year.

      Thanks in advance for any information!

      Sincerely,

      Jen Frye

      Natural Heritage Program

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 2008
        Dear Jennifer:

        I can't answer your question in full but I can give you some clues.  If the owner referred to the insects as resembling small bumblebees it's very likely they are going to belong to one of many species of anthophorines.  Some resemble smaller, chunkier versions of bumblebees and even have a light stripe on their abdomens.

        Cliff nesting bees was an interest of Tarlton Rayment, an Australian naturalist.  He even filmed them in the 1930's and released a short called, "The Cliff Dwellers."  I think the footage has been lost.  Have your library pick up a loan of his 1935 book, "A Cluster of Bees."  Rayment did his own pen and ink illustrations.

        Sincerely, Peter Bernhardt

        On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Frye, Jennifer <jfrye@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Frye, Jennifer
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 29, 2008

          Thanks to both of you for the information!  I will take your advice and request A Cluster of Bees.  I remember seeing the Anthophora colony at Sam’s place, but didn’t make the connection that these were the same type of bees nesting on the sandy cliffs.

          Much thanks!

          Jen Frye

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 29, 2008
            Jennifer: Anthophora abrupta is an excellent bet for your bees since they nest in banks and their robust size and black and white/off yellow coloration can lead to their mis-identification as bumble bees. This is a rather well studied species and useful references on its biology include Beth Norden (1984), "Nesting biology of Anthophora abrupta (Hymenoptera: Anthophoridae)" Journal of the Kansas Entomogical Society 57: 243-262; Phil Rau, (1929) The biology and behavior of mining bees Anthophora abrupta and Entechnia taurea, Psyche 36: 155-181; Beth Norden and Suzanne Batra (1985) "Male bees sport black mustaches for picking up parsnip perfume (Hymenoptera: Anthophoridae)", Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 87: 312-322.