RE: [beemonitoring] A prototype Bee Genera Fact Sheet for the General Public

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 28, 2008

      Malinda:

      I see your point.  I think we could produces some pdf's from the resulting information, in a variety of formats, but also want to make the raw information as available and updatable as possible to whoever would like to use it.

      Two cows
      In a marsh,
      Mildly munching
      Fodder harsh.
      Cow's mother,
      Cow's daughter,
      Mildly edging
      Brackish water.
      Mildly munching,
      While heron,
      Brackish-minded,
      Waits like Charon.
      Two cows,
      Mildly mooing;
      No bull;
      Nothing doing.
        -Ogden Nash

      "Malinda Slagle" <malinda.slagle@...>
      Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      10/27/2008 07:02 PM

      Please respond to
      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>, <sdroege@...>
      cc
      Subject
      RE: [beemonitoring] A prototype Bee Genera Fact Sheet for the General Public

      Sam-
      I think this is a great idea, long overdue. Your format below looks like just the sort of info people might find interesting (although of course several color photos would also be useful). However, I think it would be best if it came out as a simple fold-out pocket guide or small book, rather than as information for nature centers to produce their own. Nature centers are usually relatively low-budget projects and don't have the time or money to come up with their own guide. What they'd really like would be one that you or someone else publishes that is simple and easy to use so they can teach the public that bees are interesting critters that are important for pollination and aren't scary.
      -Malinda

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 28, 2008
        Re: [beemonitoring] A prototype Bee Genera Fact Sheet for
        Hi Sam,

        I think your headings are great and idea of simple easily adaptable fact sheets that are inexpensive to produce  are a good idea.

        Having managed a large consortium of institutions we realized that sometimes large institutions like to put their own logos on their own fact sheets/materials that they distribute so that they get local recognition so providing the fact sheets electronically gives them the opportunity to insert their logo along side of the other logos as well .

        I am attaching some fact sheets we distributed to the general public and teachers (circa 1991 NSF funded) prior to color printer capabilities, which were easy for schools to xerox.  This was the front side of the sheet, the back side had the life cycle illustration and migratory route illustration.

        Best,

        Leslie

        sam

        Everyman's Guide to The Common Groups of Bees

        Scientific Name:  Ceratina (sara-TINE-uh)

        Common Name:  Small Carpenter Bee

        Approximate Number of Species in Canada:  6

        Approximate Number of Species East of the Rockies:  6

        Approximate Number of Species West of the Rockies:  17

        Approximate Number of Species in Mexico:  ?

        General Abundance in Eastern Gardens:  Common to Abundant

        General Abundance in Western Gardens:  ?

        Time of Year:  Throughout the bee season

        General Look and Feel:  Size of a single long-grain rice kernel; dark metallic blue (often looks black) with prominent white mark on face;  skinny, lacks obvious hair, abdomen parallel-sided and ribbed like a plastic water bottle; tip of abdomen with a small projecting point.

        Stinging:  (Anyone with direct experience of Ceratina stings?)Šlow to no concern.

[...]

        Leslie Saul-Gershenz
        Director of Conservation
        SaveNature.Org (Center For Ecosystem Survival)
        699 Mississippi Street, Suite 106
        San Francisco, California  94107
        USA

        PH: 415.648.3390
        FX:  415.824.6526

        http://www.savenature.org

        http://www.lsaul.com

        SaveNature.Org is celebrating its 20th Anniversary this year! We have promoted conservation by raising and donating $3.5 million to purchase and protect healthy terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems throughout Latin America, the Pacific and the Caribbean and our newest project in Namibia.

        Our Insect Discovery Lab® conducts 700 hands-on science programs for children annually using live insects and their relatives teaching about biodiversity conservation, the interconnectedness of ecosystems to promote science literacy and to directly connect children to nature. We have been promoting the use of local native plants for wildlife gardening to enhance pollinator habitats through our programs, fact sheets and website since our founding in 1988.

        SaveNature.Org headquarters are in SF but is a broad consortium of over 140 institutions from the U.S. and Canada. We work with schools across the US in all 50 states. In 2006, one of our students that we inspired won the Eco-Hero award from Action for Nature. Our programs continue to inspire children throughout the world.

      • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 7, 2008
          Sam and all,

          Just got hooked into the Bee Genera fact sheets for garden clubs and the like.  I just spoke on native pollinators to my sister's garden club in Kingston, NY, and they loved it.  Some of them want to catch some bees in their gardens.  More for me to ID, groan.

          Anita