A prototype Bee Genera Fact Sheet for the General Public

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 2008

      All:  At the North American Pollinator Protection Campaign meetings last week I sat on a committee to work on garden related topics.  During that meeting we can to the realization that while there were a number of plant guides available and in the works for pollinators, there was actually relatively little information available to the general public on what these native bee pollinators actually were.  We decided that it would make sense to introduce people to the genera of bees most likely to show up in their gardens.  Rather than create an actual guide we decided to pull together some very general information that would be useful to nature centers, garden clubs, and other groups who would like to produce brochures or posters about local pollinators.  They can choose and modify that information in any way they like.  Ultimately there would be a series of publically available pictures they could also use.

      So, as usual, I would be very interested in your feedback on the concept as well as the format, categories of information, and the facts presented.

      Below is a mock up for the Genus Ceratina.  You can send comments back to me directly (sdroege@...) or to the group as a whole if you think appropriate.  I would particularly appreciate any interesting stories or facts that could be added.

      Thanks

      sam

      Everyman’s Guide to The Common Groups of Bees

      Scientific Name:  Ceratina (sara-TINE-uh)

      Common Name:  Small Carpenter Bee

      Approximate Number of Species in Canada:  6

      Approximate Number of Species East of the Rockies:  6

      Approximate Number of Species West of the Rockies:  17

      Approximate Number of Species in Mexico:  ?

      General Abundance in Eastern Gardens:  Common to Abundant

      General Abundance in Western Gardens:  ?

      Time of Year:  Throughout the bee season

      General Look and Feel:  Size of a single long-grain rice kernel; dark metallic blue (often looks black) with prominent white mark on face;  skinny, lacks obvious hair, abdomen parallel-sided and ribbed like a plastic water bottle; tip of abdomen with a small projecting point.

      Stinging:  (Anyone with direct experience of Ceratina stings?)…low to no concern.

      Nesting Site:  The female excavates a nest from the broken ends of brambles and shrubs with large soft pith.

      Overwintering Site:  Adult males and females overwinter in their nest sites.

      Favorite Flowers:  Occurs on almost all types of flowers.

      Interesting Ceratina Factoids:
      -        A few species are extremely small, going down to about 1/8th inch (3mm).
      -        Seems to profit from heavy deer browse

      Web Sites and Technical ID Guides:
      http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Ceratina
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratina

      How to Attract:  Plant a diverse assemblage of flowering shrubs and perennials to provide pollen and nectar throughout the season;  benefits from yearly brushhogging of at least a portion of shrubby fields to generate nesting sites and rejuvenate flowering resources; remove trees from old fields.

      Attributions:  Thanks to John Ascher for use of his list of North American bee species.

      A Chippewa tail of how the Hell-diver got its name as told to Wells Cooke and published in the
      first volume of Auk in 1884.

      "One on a time the Great Spirit looked down on all the beasts and
      birds and saw that their lives were one dull round of monotonous
      toil. So he told them to assemble at a certain place and he
      would teach them many beautiful games.  He built an immense
      wigwam, and at the appointed time all were there except the Grebe.
      He made fun of the whole matter, and said he knew tricks enough
      already.

      While the Great Spirit was instructing the assemblage, the Grebe
      danced in  derision before the door, and finally, emboldened by
      the forbearance of his master, ran into the room, and by dancing
      on the fire, put it out and filled the wigwam with smoke.  Then
      the patience of the Great Spirit could stand it no longer, and
      giving the Grebe a kick, he exclaimed, 'Deformed shalt thou go
      through this world for the rest of thy days!'  The imperial foot
      struck him just at the base of the tail.  It knocked the body
      forward, but the legs remained behind, and the Grebe has ever
      since had the legs set so far back on the body that it cannot
      walk."

    • Vivian_NegronOrtiz@fws.gov
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 27, 2008
        Actually the problem is not only the pollinators, but also the plant
        species. Many federally listed species are declining, many are/were
        visited by bees, and if the plants are gone what would happen to these
        pollinators? So conservation efforts should include both plants and
        pollinators.

        ****************************
        Vivian Negron-Ortiz, Ph.D.
        Botanist, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
        1601 Balboa Ave.
        Panama City, FL 32405
        850-769-0552 X. 231
        Vivian_NegronOrtiz@...
        http://www.fws.gov/panamacity/stafflist.html

        Sam Droege
        <sdroege@...
        Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        beemonitoring@yah cc
        oogroups.com
        Subject
        [beemonitoring] A prototype Bee
        10/27/2008 08:52 Genera Fact Sheet for the General
        AM Public

        Please respond to
        beemonitoring@yah
        oogroups.com

[...]

        Sam Droege sdroege@...
        BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
        Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 27, 2008
          Dear Sam:

          Thanks for the last two communications.  I am passing them on to colleague, Dr. Joe Fortier SJ <josephfortier@...>.  Dr. Fortier is an authority on hyperparasitioid wasps and is about to complete a major monograph.  He has also prepared an online key to one of the genera.  You may want to contact him and exchange information of mutual interest.  You will also find he is committed to the education and welfare of Native Americans and just named a wasp species after a group of tricksy, Native American spirits.  He should share your interest in NA mythology.

          Regarding your previous communication, when discussing bowl traps for bees you might mention that there are natural bowl traps.  Specifically, the sac-like labella of some lady's slipper orchids (Cypripedium) can be a death trap for bees that lack the correct dimensions to escape from the flower.  In a recent study of the pollination of C. montanum (we are still working it up) Dr. Nan Vance and I found dozens of "hapless visitors" dead or dying in labella.  In particular, Osmia spp. enter the labella but many fail to escape. I think their heads and thoraces are too wide to allow them to push through the rear escape canals of the flower.  It's also amazing what you can find in the much larger sacs of C. reginae (mostly Lepidoptera and beetles).

          I also like the mock up for your guide below.  I think I can help here with anecdotal stuff.  For example, males of Panurginus ineptus often visit flowers of Fragaria spp. in pine woodlands in Oregon in late May or early June.  Here's something I would suggest.  Ask NAPPC members if they are aware whether certain bee genera have "favorite flowers?"  This is especially important for gardeners.  Yes, we know that many, many bees are generalists but there will always be certain flowers in a garden that draw certain foragers like magnets.  For example, if you grow the giant evening primrose (Oenothera macrocarpa) in your garden you often find damaged flowers with butchered petals.  That's often due to female Megachile spp. cutting off yellow petal lobes to line their nests.  Also, I was most surprised to find lots of male Bombus spp. on my Cosmos over the past two weeks.  I assume the male bumblebees like these flowers because they stay in bloom so late, flowering until there's a hard freeze,  and their tube florets are short enough to accommodate their tongues.

          Yes, Ceratina are generalist foragers but my analyses of pollen of C. acanthi showed they have a particular "fondness" for flowers in the Rosaceae (Fragaria, Rosa, Prunus, Potentilla, Rubus) by late spring.  This might indicate that Ceratina bees may be more likely to visit gardens with a "home orchard" (cherry trees and berry bushes?).  If you send me a list of genera I can go through my past papers and dig out information on the bee pollinators.  For example, my first two publications on the pollination of hepatica and Erythronium in New York State will help gardeners who grow native plants or have the remains of woodlots on their properties.

          Peter Bernhardt

        • Gretchen LeBuhn

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 27, 2008
              Sam-
              I think this is a great idea, long overdue. Your format below looks like just the sort of info people might find interesting (although of course several color photos would also be useful). However, I think it would be best if it came out as a simple fold-out pocket guide or small book, rather than as information for nature centers to produce their own. Nature centers are usually relatively low-budget projects and don't have the time or money to come up with their own guide. What they'd really like would be one that you or someone else publishes that is simple and easy to use so they can teach the public that bees are interesting critters that are important for pollination and aren't scary.
              -Malinda

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 27, 2008
                   Hello Malinda, doesn't:"Xerces society " have  a similar 'layperson fact sheet'?

                   charlie guevara  NJ,US

[...]

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    mailto:beemonitoring-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:beemonitoring-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 28, 2008

                  Malinda:

                  I see your point.  I think we could produces some pdf's from the resulting information, in a variety of formats, but also want to make the raw information as available and updatable as possible to whoever would like to use it.

                  Two cows
                  In a marsh,
                  Mildly munching
                  Fodder harsh.
                  Cow's mother,
                  Cow's daughter,
                  Mildly edging
                  Brackish water.
                  Mildly munching,
                  While heron,
                  Brackish-minded,
                  Waits like Charon.
                  Two cows,
                  Mildly mooing;
                  No bull;
                  Nothing doing.
                    -Ogden Nash

                  "Malinda Slagle" <malinda.slagle@...>
                  Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                  10/27/2008 07:02 PM

                  Please respond to
                  beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                  <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>, <sdroege@...>
                  cc
                  Subject
                  RE: [beemonitoring] A prototype Bee Genera Fact Sheet for the General Public

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 28, 2008
                    Re: [beemonitoring] A prototype Bee Genera Fact Sheet for
                    Hi Sam,

                    I think your headings are great and idea of simple easily adaptable fact sheets that are inexpensive to produce  are a good idea.

                    Having managed a large consortium of institutions we realized that sometimes large institutions like to put their own logos on their own fact sheets/materials that they distribute so that they get local recognition so providing the fact sheets electronically gives them the opportunity to insert their logo along side of the other logos as well .

                    I am attaching some fact sheets we distributed to the general public and teachers (circa 1991 NSF funded) prior to color printer capabilities, which were easy for schools to xerox.  This was the front side of the sheet, the back side had the life cycle illustration and migratory route illustration.

                    Best,

                    Leslie

                    sam

                    Everyman's Guide to The Common Groups of Bees

                    Scientific Name:  Ceratina (sara-TINE-uh)

                    Common Name:  Small Carpenter Bee

                    Approximate Number of Species in Canada:  6

                    Approximate Number of Species East of the Rockies:  6

                    Approximate Number of Species West of the Rockies:  17

                    Approximate Number of Species in Mexico:  ?

                    General Abundance in Eastern Gardens:  Common to Abundant

                    General Abundance in Western Gardens:  ?

                    Time of Year:  Throughout the bee season

                    General Look and Feel:  Size of a single long-grain rice kernel; dark metallic blue (often looks black) with prominent white mark on face;  skinny, lacks obvious hair, abdomen parallel-sided and ribbed like a plastic water bottle; tip of abdomen with a small projecting point.

                    Stinging:  (Anyone with direct experience of Ceratina stings?)Šlow to no concern.

[...]

                    Leslie Saul-Gershenz
                    Director of Conservation
                    SaveNature.Org (Center For Ecosystem Survival)
                    699 Mississippi Street, Suite 106
                    San Francisco, California  94107
                    USA

                    PH: 415.648.3390
                    FX:  415.824.6526

                    http://www.savenature.org

                    http://www.lsaul.com

                    SaveNature.Org is celebrating its 20th Anniversary this year! We have promoted conservation by raising and donating $3.5 million to purchase and protect healthy terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems throughout Latin America, the Pacific and the Caribbean and our newest project in Namibia.

                    Our Insect Discovery Lab® conducts 700 hands-on science programs for children annually using live insects and their relatives teaching about biodiversity conservation, the interconnectedness of ecosystems to promote science literacy and to directly connect children to nature. We have been promoting the use of local native plants for wildlife gardening to enhance pollinator habitats through our programs, fact sheets and website since our founding in 1988.

                    SaveNature.Org headquarters are in SF but is a broad consortium of over 140 institutions from the U.S. and Canada. We work with schools across the US in all 50 states. In 2006, one of our students that we inspired won the Eco-Hero award from Action for Nature. Our programs continue to inspire children throughout the world.

                  • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 7, 2008
                      Sam and all,

                      Just got hooked into the Bee Genera fact sheets for garden clubs and the like.  I just spoke on native pollinators to my sister's garden club in Kingston, NY, and they loved it.  Some of them want to catch some bees in their gardens.  More for me to ID, groan.

                      Anita