Bibliography and Summary of Bee Bowl and Related Trapping Techniques for Bees

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2008

      As part of a series of techniques papers on bee bowls/pan trapping for bees I have tried to put together a bibliography and summary of all published studies that have used bowl type traps.  That bibliography is listed below and ultimately will be included in the Handy Bee Manual.    If anyone knows of papers that I have overlooked from the world literature for bees in colored pan/bowl type traps I would love to get those references too.    Corrections to the current bibliography are also welcome.

      I have also summarized the results of those studies in an excel file which is posted at:

      ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/Droege/

      bee bowl study summary.xls

      I would welcome unpublished data of any sort that could be added to this table.  I will be adding a whole series of additions from our various bowl trapping projects.  Corrections are also welcome.

      When looking at the table notice the great variety of habitats, trap types, colors, transects, spacings, and numbers of days deployed by various researchers.  Obvious patterns include low or no captures in forested environments (no great surprise there) and lower per day captures when bowls are left out for several days due to population removal.

      "Literature and butterflies are the two sweetest passions known to man."
           -Vladimir Nabokov:

      Bartholomew, C. S. and D. Prowell.  2005.  Pan compared to Malaise trapping for bees (Hymenoptera: Apoidea) in a Longleaf Pine Savanna. Journal of Kansas Entomological Society.  78:390-392.

      Campbell, J. W., and J. L. Hanula.  2007.  Efficiency of Malaise traps and colored pan traps for collecting flower visiting insects from three forested ecosystems.  Journal of Insect Conservation 11:399-408.

      Cane, J. H., R. L. Minckley and L. J. Kervin.  2000.  Sampling bees (Hymenoptera: Apiformes) for pollinator community studies: pitfalls of pan-trapping.  Journal of Kansas Entomological Society 73:225-231.

      Davis, J. D., S. D. Hendrix, D. M. Debinski, and C. J. Hemsley.  2008.  Butterfly, bee and forb community composition and cross-taxon incongruence in tallgrass prairie fragments. Journal of Insect Conservation 12:69-79.

      Giles, V. and J. S. Ascher.  2006.  A survey of the bees of the Black Rock Forest preserve, New York (Hymenoptera :  Apoidea). Journal of Hymenoptera Research 15: 208-231.

      Hopwood, J. L.  2008.  The contribution of roadside grassland restorations to native bee conservation. Biological Conservation 141:2632-2640.

      Krug, C. and I. Alves-dos-Santos.  2008.  O Uso de Diferentes Métodos para Amostragem da Fauna de Abelhas (Hymenoptera: Apoidea), um Estudo em Floresta Ombrófi la Mista em
      Santa Catarina. Neotropical Entomology 37:265-278.

      Kwaiser, K. S. and S. D. Hendrix. 2008. Diversity and abundance of bees (Hymenoptera: Apiformes) in native and ruderal grasslands of agriculturally dominated landscapes. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 124:200-204.

      Leong, J. M. and R. W. Thorp.  1999.  Color-coded sampling: the pan trap colour preferences of oligolectic and nonoligolectic bees associated with a vernal pool plant.  Ecological Entomology 24:329-335.

      Noyes, J. S. 1989. A study of five methods of sampling Hymenoptera (Insecta) in a tropical rainforest, with special reference to the Parasitica. Journal of Natural History 23:285-298.

      Romey, W. L.,  J. S. Ascher, D. A. Powell, and M. Yanek.  2007.  Impacts of logging on midsummer diversity of native bees (Apoidea) in a northern hardwood forest. Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society 80:327-338.

      Roulson, T. H., S. A. Smith and A. L. Brewster.  2007.  A comparison of pan trap and intensive net sampling techniques for documenting a bee (Hymenoptera: Apiformes) fauna. Journal of Kansas Entomological Society 80:179-181.

      de Souza, L. and M. J. de O. Campos.  2008.  Composition and diversity of bees (Hymenoptera) attracted by Moericke traps in an agricultural area in Rio Claro, state of São Paulo, Brasil. Iheringia. Serie Zoologia 98:236-243.

      Toler, T. R.,  E. W. Evans, and V. J. Tepedino.  2005.  Pan-trapping for bees (Hymenoptera: Apiformes) in Utah's West Desert: The importance of color diversity. Pan-Pacific Entomologist 81:103-113.

      Wells, W. and T. Decker.  2006.  A comparison of three types of insect traps for collecting non-Formicidae Hymenoptera on the island of Dominica.  Southwestern Entomologist 31:59-68.

      Westphal et al.  In press.  Measuring bee diversity in different european habitats and biogeographical regions. Ecological Monographs.

      Wilson, J.S., T. Griswold and O. J. Messinger. 2008. Sampling bee communities (Hymenoptera: Apiformes) in a desert landscape: are pan traps sufficient? Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society 81:288-300.

    • Cane, Jim
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 20, 2008

        Sam- I’ve attached a file with the extra refs that I have from a much larger European (esp Polish) literature that has used pan trapping for decades, plus others scattered around in Europe, here and South America .  I don’t enter most of it unless the objective was of interest.

        Curious that you should send this now, Sam, for last week, I was talking with the editor of the J Kansas Ent Soc, Larry Kipp.  He asked if I would be interested in kicking off a new series of invited review papers with one on sampling methods for bees.  They would waive page charges.  I don’t feel that I have the expertise with enough methods, nor the depth of evaluation experience that you have with pan trapping in particular, which I’d expect to be a big part of any such review.  Would you like me to suggest you as a potential author?

        Yours,

        jim

        James H. Cane

        Utah State University , Logan , UT 84322 USA

        tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

        email: Jim.Cane@...

        web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

        "Embrace entropy"