wildpeperment is indeed established in Harrimen State Park,NY..bees love it!

  • icecilliate123
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2008
      Hello Joe Metzger, hello Liz Day...thanks Joe for 'heads up' on
      wildpepermint being an exotic/introduced plant in NY/NJ, the bees
      here love(leave the fennel flowers for these wildpepermint flowers
      when 'given choice'...just as bumblebees alone cruised our catnip
      small low to ground flowers more so than other pollinators in our
      gardens)...the bees here love it!

      My 1975 edition of"fieldbook of natural history,2nd edition"
      (author/publisher has title with lower case lettering,not me.),
      E.Laurence Palmer,Cornell, revised by H.Seymour
      Fowler,PennStateU...everyone...please get this
      book..handy/concise/illustrated/sections all stand alone
      reading!...so Joe Metzger, 1975 in this great book: "Pepermint,Mentha
      piprita...Native of Europe. Widely naturalized in America where it
      grows in relatively thick stands in water-soaked or well waterd
      ground. Has been cultivated as a crop in America for more than
      100years. Flowers July through September but rarely conspicuous.".

      Please visit the forum Photos..in "charlie g" I just put up some
      images. And please..someone try and contact raj regarding pepermint
      and bees..the interaction really catches your eye when you watch it
      close up over the seasons. charlie guevara NJ,US