Re: Regarding green house plants for bumblee bees and honey bees

  • icecilliate123
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2008
      - Hello Raj, I suggest your project look at using specimens of wild
      pepermint. I reside NY/NJ border highlands, Ramapo Mts near Hudson
      River (just visit:GoogleMaps and with:hybrid-sattelite view setting,
      zoom in on Harriman State Park,NY,US).

      Not knowing your locale/climate zone, I sure hope you have access
      to :wild pepermint plants(such a problem with invassive species
      globally...guess your native plant selections determined by your
      locale.).

      In our always near untamed backyard herb gardens, fennel used to
      be the big attractor for so many wasp species,flies, and hornets, and
      bees. Once my outdoor aquariums with flowing water 'bio-
      filters'/tank-wetlands..were setup using native wetland wild
      pepermint,fern,cattail plantings...all sorts of polinators/green
      bottle flies...all constantly visit the soft lavender wildpepermint
      flowers..some of the bumblebees stay motionless for long time on the
      leaves of the wildpepermint plants. The ferns are starting to brown
      on a lot of their fronds, but the wildpepermint plants are still
      (10/4/08) growing vines, growing those light lavender flowers.

      Raj, it would be of intrest if you have time soon, start a Photo
      alblum in this forum, with your project startup...many 'outhere'
      cheer your studies...and we all would love to follow the project.

      charlie guevara NJ,US

      -- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, "Rajwinder Singh" <rus169@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi everybody
      > My name is Raj Singh and I am graduate student.. we are conducting
      a green
      > house experiment using both honey bees and bumblee bees (Bombus
      > terrestris)... can any body suggest us some potted flowering plants
      that we
      > can use as a pollen source for both honey bees and bumble bees at
      this time
      > of the year... and that we can easily get from the market...
      > Thanks
      > --
      > Rajwinder Singh
      > Phd candidate

    • Joe Metzger
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2008
        Charlie (and Raj),

                  I'm confused by your suggestion of wild peppermint. In MD, I rarely see any member of the mint family in bloom at this time of year. Also your use of the word vine has me confused because there is nothing about peppermint that could be what I call a vine. And as far as being wild, peppermint in the US is an exotic which only ocasionnally naturalizes. I usually only see field mint (Mentha arvensis), which has native and exotic varieties, in the wild.

                  This time of year the most abundant flowers are those in the Composite family. Asters, Goldenrods, Sunflowers and members of the genus Eupatorium are all in great abundance. Many of these should be easily available. Sticking with the native species would probably work best. Some clones from natives have turned out to have no nectar and possibly, in the case of sterile ones, no pollen. If you need a list of nurseries selling natives in your area, check with the Native Plant Society in your state. Most of them maintain lists of nurseries which sell native plants.

                  I thought I could check the member database to find out where Raj is but Raj, you haven't filled it out. Wherever you are, before you start, make sure the bumble bee species is native. No need to introduce another exotic species to the environment. Good luck with your experiment.

                                                                              Joe Metzger

        To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        From: icecilliate123@...
        Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 17:44:55 +0000
        Subject: [beemonitoring] Re: Regarding green house plants for bumblee bees and honey bees

        wrote:

        > Hi everybody
        > My name is Raj Singh and I am graduate student.. we are conducting
        a green
        > house experiment using both honey bees and bumblee bees (Bombus
        > terrestris). .. can any body suggest us some potted flowering plants
        that we
        > can use as a pollen source for both honey bees and bumble bees at
        this time
        > of the year... and that we can easily get from the market...
        > Thanks
        > --
        > Rajwinder Singh
        > Phd candidate

      • Liz Day
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008
          >>.....on a lot of their fronds, but the wildpepermint plants are still (10/4/08) growing vines, growing those light lavender flowers.

          >>> I'm confused by your suggestion of wild peppermint. In MD, I rarely see any member of the mint family in bloom at this time of year. Also your use of the word vine has me confused because there is nothing about peppermint that could be what I call a vine.

          The peppermint I'm familiar with (a garden plant; don't know its origin) does put out runners that snake out in all directions over the ground. The runners don't climb, but they do remind one of vines in their appearance, vigor and speed.

          Liz D.
          Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
        • Charles Guevara
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008
               Hello Liz, All our wetlands with running water here in NY/NJ 'highlands' (as Harriman Tate Park,NY typifies)...have rather common asseblages of cattails/ferns/and wildpepermint.

               I am really hopeing to contact PhD candidate raj, who posted in this bee forum this past 8/08.  I especially wish to send him e-mail with attached images...Can 'off list e-mail contacts between forum members here ' contain attached images, Liz ?  I tried doing this for raj...there seemed no option for attachments  when I e-mailed raj.

               Liz, I can gladly 'off list' e-mail you images of wildpepermint both in the field/wetlands here...and in my outdoor 'microcosm wetland tubs' (I constructed these setups as biofilters for my native fish outdoor setups.    charlie guevara  NJ,US

            >>.....on a lot of their fronds, but the wildpepermint plants are still
            (10/4/08) growing vines, growing those light lavender flowers.

            >>>  I'm confused by your suggestion of wild peppermint. In MD, I
            rarely see any member of the mint family in bloom at this time of year. Also
            your use of the word vine has me confused because there is nothing about
            peppermint that could be what I call a vine.

            The peppermint I'm familiar with (a garden plant; don't know its
            origin) does put out runners that snake out in all directions over the ground.
            The runners don't climb, but they do remind one of vines in their
            appearance, vigor and speed.

            Liz D.
            Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

            <*> Your email settings: