Advise on stealing pollen loads

  • Kim McFarland
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2008
      I am looking for tips on collecting the pollen loads from the
      non-corbiculate bee Habropoda miserabilis for identification of pollen
      sources. It appears that these bees are collecting pollen from
      multiple sources on one foraging trip. I am familiar with the basic
      fushin glycerine jelly technique, but want to examine more than just
      the surface of the pollen load. I want to leave the bees undamaged to
      forage again and am concerned about cross-contamination of samples.
      Are there any expert pollen thieves that could give me some pointers?
      And does anyone know of a good source to describe the acetolysis
      process for treating pollen grains for identification. Thanks for the
      help, Kim McFarland, Humboldt State University
    • Matthew Sarver
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2008
        Kim -

        Acetolysis and other pollen study and collection techniques are described in detail (with references) in:

        Kearns, C.A. and Inouye, D.W. 1993. Techniques for Pollination Biologists. Niwot, Colorado: University Press of Colorado.

        Hope this helps

        Matt

        Matthew Sarver
        Consultant
        Delaware Department of Agriculture
        Cell: 724-689-5845

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2008
          Kim: I've collected scopal pollen from foraging Andrena by simply removing part of the scopal load with a microspatula and scraping into foil "envelopes" I'd made. Didn't seem to have any long term effects. Its easy to handle female Andrena since they don't sting but you probably could do the same thing with Habropoda with the help of gloves.