Re: [beemonitoring] Is Chelostoma philadelpi an introduced species?

  • John S. Ascher
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
      Sam and Jack:

      The diagnostic features of Chelostoma lamellum is illustrated in Wu's
      recent book on Chinese Megachilidae along with another related species, C.
      sublamellum. At present these are placed in subgenus Ceraheriades which
      now includes five species. Thus C. lamellum is not even consubgeneric with
      C. philadelphi and is clearly specifically distinct from C. philadelphi.

      Macropis is a good example of a bee genus with centers of diversity in the
      eastern USA and China.

      Many bee genera have failed to speciate in the eastern USA and are absent
      from much of the western USA, including most or all of the Rocky
      Mountains, such as Augochlora, Melitoma, and Ptilothrix.

      I've collected C. philadelphi primarily from planted mock orange, e.g., on
      the Cornell U. campus. I agree with Jack's suggestion that it has greatly
      expanded its range due to widespread planting of its host.

      If anyone has Chelostoma specimens with pollen affixed I suggest that they
      send these to Andreas Mueller so that he can identify the pollen source.

      "I think a world-wide collecting trip of Mock Oranges is in
      >> order here!"

      I doubt that we have overlooked Prochelostoma species.

      John

      --
      John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
      Bee Database Project Manager