Re: [beemonitoring] Is Chelostoma philadelpi an introduced species?

  • Jack Neff
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
      Sam: Your speculation that Chelostoma philadelphi is introduced is intriguing. However, China -Eastern North America is a classic pattern for Miocene plant (and other organismal) disjunctions. Chelostoma is a the base of the Osmiini (Praz et al, 2008, Molec. Phylog. Evol 49: 185-197) so presumably is old enough. C. philadelphi could be what was once a somewhat geographically restricted relict of a Miocene disjunction which greatly expanded its range with the widespread planting of an appropriate host plant (introduced mock orange). Many other bees have recently expanded their ranges with horticultural or weedy range expansions of their host plants.

      best

      Jack

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008

        Jack:

        That sounds resonable, but wouldn't you expect there to be several species in that subgenus in North America, not just one?  Particularly since the split would have occurred long ago?  Also since most of the Philadelphus species are western, one would suppose the subgenus would be in a number of places in the West (or maybe we need to do more collecting off of Philadelphus in the West!), particularly since at least one species of Philadelphus appears to be common there..

        But then on the other hand, why hasen't anyone found C. philadelphi in China if that's where it originated or in Southern Europe where apparently the Mock Orange that is most often used as an ornamental originated from?

        I think a world-wide collecting trip of Mock Oranges is in order here!

        To the Fringed Gentian

        Thou blossom bright with autumn dew,
        And colored with the heaven's own blue,
        that openest when the quiet light
        Succeeds the keen and frosty night -

        Thou comest not when violets lean
        O'er wandering brooks and springs unseen,
        Or columbines, in purple dressed,
        Nod o'er the ground-bird's hidden nest.

        Thou waitest late and com'st alone,
        When woods are bare and birds are flown,
        and frosts and shortening days portend
        The aged year is near his end.

        Then doth thy sweet and quiet eye
        Look through its fringes to the sky,
        Blue-blue-as if that sky let fall
        A flower from its cerulean wall.

        I would that thus, when I shall see
        the hour of death draw near to me,
        Hope, blossoming within my heart,
        May look to heaven as I depart.
             -William Cullen Bryant

        Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...>
        Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        09/24/2008 02:14 PM

        Please respond to
        beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Subject

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
          Sam: Failure to speciate (or extinction rate = speciation rate) is reasonable for relicts. Also, in E. Asia - North American disjuncts, multiple introductions are common and it is not unusual to find that the eastern and western American taxa are not closely related and each group may be more closely related to an OW clade. It would be interesting to see a phylogeny of Philedelphus. Also, putting a clock on the Chelostoma phylogeny might shed some light.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
            Jack:

            You have me convinced.  I am swinging back to it not be an introduced species,,,meerly a very intriguing one that (as usual) would very interesting to look into further.

            Thanks for the insights.

            The Plover and the Clover can be told
                apart with ease,
            By paying close attention to the
                habits of the Bees,
            For ento-molo-gists aver, the Bee
                can be in clover,
            While ety-molo-gists concur, there
                is no B in Plover.
               -Robert Williams Wood - The Clover and the Plover

            Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...>
            Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            09/24/2008 05:26 PM

            Please respond to

            Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

            jlnatctmi@...>
            > Sent by:
            beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            > 09/24/2008 02:14 PM
            > Please respond to

            beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            > cc
            >
            > Subject
            > Re: [beemonitoring] Is Chelostoma philadelpi an introduced
            > species?
            >

            > Sam: Your speculation that Chelostoma philadelphi is
            > introduced is
            > intriguing. However, China -Eastern North America is a
            > classic pattern for
            > Miocene plant (and other organismal) disjunctions.
            > Chelostoma is a the
            > base of the Osmiini (Praz et al, 2008, Molec. Phylog. Evol
            > 49: 185-197) so
            > presumably is old enough. C. philadelphi could be what was
            > once a somewhat
            > geographically restricted relict of a Miocene disjunction
            > which greatly
            > expanded its range with the widespread planting of an
            > appropriate host
            > plant (introduced mock orange). Many other bees have
            > recently expanded
            > their ranges with horticultural or weedy range expansions
            > of their host
            > plants.
            >
            > best
            >
            > Jack
            >
            > John L. Neff
            > Central Texas Melittological Institute
            > 7307 Running Rope
            > Austin,TX 78731 USA
            > 512-345-7219

          • John S. Ascher
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
              Sam and Jack:

              The diagnostic features of Chelostoma lamellum is illustrated in Wu's
              recent book on Chinese Megachilidae along with another related species, C.
              sublamellum. At present these are placed in subgenus Ceraheriades which
              now includes five species. Thus C. lamellum is not even consubgeneric with
              C. philadelphi and is clearly specifically distinct from C. philadelphi.

              Macropis is a good example of a bee genus with centers of diversity in the
              eastern USA and China.

              Many bee genera have failed to speciate in the eastern USA and are absent
              from much of the western USA, including most or all of the Rocky
              Mountains, such as Augochlora, Melitoma, and Ptilothrix.

              I've collected C. philadelphi primarily from planted mock orange, e.g., on
              the Cornell U. campus. I agree with Jack's suggestion that it has greatly
              expanded its range due to widespread planting of its host.

              If anyone has Chelostoma specimens with pollen affixed I suggest that they
              send these to Andreas Mueller so that he can identify the pollen source.

              "I think a world-wide collecting trip of Mock Oranges is in
              >> order here!"

              I doubt that we have overlooked Prochelostoma species.

              John

              --
              John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
              Bee Database Project Manager