RE: [beemonitoring] Chelostoma philadelpi and the plant genus Philadelphus

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008

      Thanks Jim:

      I do have that paper and it doesn't discuss the C. philadelphi in it (It was considered in the genus Prochelostoma at that point).

      Interesting to see that C. philadelphi doesn't occur in the West....despite its possible pollen host.

      In nature's infinite book of secrecy
      A little I can read
      Antony and Cleopatra - Shakespeare

      "Cane, Jim" <Jim.Cane@...>
      Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      09/23/2008 06:53 PM

      Please respond to
      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
      cc
      Subject
      RE: [beemonitoring] Chelostoma philadelpi and the plant genus Philadelphus

      Sam- regarding that adventive Chelostoma, there is the following article:

      Eickwort, G. C. 1980. Two European species of Chelostoma established in New York State (Hymenoptera: Megachilidae). Psyche (Camb. Mass. ) 87:315-323.

      but I have not read it since the late Tertiary (grad school).

      You are right, out here in the northern Rockies there are several widespread Philadelphus.

      Yours,

      Jim Cane

    • Cane, Jim
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008

        Sam- yes, that’s a useful observation about Chelostoma philadelphi not making it west in the US where native likely floral hosts occur.  Possibly it is because that floral host is not used ornamentally much, so that chances for nest transport are not likely to plop the bee down where it’s host plant occurs (e.g. cities, towns, farms).  Indeed, most of our native cavity-nesters do not seem to have been broadly moved out of their native ranges by inadvertent human transport…can you think of any?  And then there is Megachile rotundata which spanned the continent in a decade or two (we think) without intentional help.  Interesting to mull on.

        jim

        ===============================

        James H. Cane

        Utah State University , Logan , UT 84322 USA

        tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

        email: Jim.Cane@...

        web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

        "Embrace entropy"

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008

          Jim:

          I like your thinking.... How about this:

          I found Robertson's article on Heterotropic Bees (Ecology 6: 412-436) in which he states under a paragraph entitled "Near Oligoleges":

          "Prochelstoma philadelphi collects in abundance, but not exclusively, pollen of Philadelphus grandiflorus, a cultivated plant.  If the bee has an important relation to this plant, it must have been introduced with it.  "

          So Robertson implies it may be an introduced species, but as far as I can tell no one has since then.

          In Sedivy et al.'s new paper, they couldn't determine if the pollen was from Philadelphus when they examined 21 pollen loads from museum specimens from 11 localities, but they were all in the Hydrangeaceae group.  In the eastern U.S. members of the Hydrangeaceae group are either absent or extremely rare, particularly in the north.  So one must suspect that the pollen comes from the introduced Mock Orange.

          Interestingly in both phylogenetic and morphometric analyses C. philadelphi is very closely related to C. lamellum which lives in China and is also likely an oligoleg on Philadelphus!  Both these species are quite distant from other species of Chelostoma.

          Given the habit of nesting in small holes in wood and the inadvertent introduction of 2 other Chelostoma species into North America, I am willing to bet that Robertson's supposition was right and that C. philadelphi is actually an introduced species.

          Nature makes the locust with an appetite for crops; man
          would have made him with an appetite for sand- I mean
          a man with the least little bit of common sense.
           - Mark Twain

          "Cane, Jim" <Jim.Cane@...>
          Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

          09/24/2008 12:41 PM

          Please respond to
[...]

        • Jack Neff
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
            Sam: Your speculation that Chelostoma philadelphi is introduced is intriguing. However, China -Eastern North America is a classic pattern for Miocene plant (and other organismal) disjunctions. Chelostoma is a the base of the Osmiini (Praz et al, 2008, Molec. Phylog. Evol 49: 185-197) so presumably is old enough. C. philadelphi could be what was once a somewhat geographically restricted relict of a Miocene disjunction which greatly expanded its range with the widespread planting of an appropriate host plant (introduced mock orange). Many other bees have recently expanded their ranges with horticultural or weedy range expansions of their host plants.

            best

            Jack

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008

              Jack:

              That sounds resonable, but wouldn't you expect there to be several species in that subgenus in North America, not just one?  Particularly since the split would have occurred long ago?  Also since most of the Philadelphus species are western, one would suppose the subgenus would be in a number of places in the West (or maybe we need to do more collecting off of Philadelphus in the West!), particularly since at least one species of Philadelphus appears to be common there..

              But then on the other hand, why hasen't anyone found C. philadelphi in China if that's where it originated or in Southern Europe where apparently the Mock Orange that is most often used as an ornamental originated from?

              I think a world-wide collecting trip of Mock Oranges is in order here!

              To the Fringed Gentian

              Thou blossom bright with autumn dew,
              And colored with the heaven's own blue,
              that openest when the quiet light
              Succeeds the keen and frosty night -

              Thou comest not when violets lean
              O'er wandering brooks and springs unseen,
              Or columbines, in purple dressed,
              Nod o'er the ground-bird's hidden nest.

              Thou waitest late and com'st alone,
              When woods are bare and birds are flown,
              and frosts and shortening days portend
              The aged year is near his end.

              Then doth thy sweet and quiet eye
              Look through its fringes to the sky,
              Blue-blue-as if that sky let fall
              A flower from its cerulean wall.

              I would that thus, when I shall see
              the hour of death draw near to me,
              Hope, blossoming within my heart,
              May look to heaven as I depart.
                   -William Cullen Bryant

              Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...>
              Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

              09/24/2008 02:14 PM

              Please respond to
              beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

              beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
              cc
              Subject
              Re: [beemonitoring] Is Chelostoma philadelpi an introduced species?

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
                Sam: Failure to speciate (or extinction rate = speciation rate) is reasonable for relicts. Also, in E. Asia - North American disjuncts, multiple introductions are common and it is not unusual to find that the eastern and western American taxa are not closely related and each group may be more closely related to an OW clade. It would be interesting to see a phylogeny of Philedelphus. Also, putting a clock on the Chelostoma phylogeny might shed some light.

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
                  Jack:

                  You have me convinced.  I am swinging back to it not be an introduced species,,,meerly a very intriguing one that (as usual) would very interesting to look into further.

                  Thanks for the insights.

                  The Plover and the Clover can be told
                      apart with ease,
                  By paying close attention to the
                      habits of the Bees,
                  For ento-molo-gists aver, the Bee
                      can be in clover,
                  While ety-molo-gists concur, there
                      is no B in Plover.
                     -Robert Williams Wood - The Clover and the Plover

                  Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...>
                  Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                  09/24/2008 05:26 PM

                  Please respond to

                  sdroege@...>

                  Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

                  jlnatctmi@...>
                  > Sent by:
                  beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                  > 09/24/2008 02:14 PM
                  > Please respond to

                  beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                  beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                  > cc
                  >
                  > Subject
                  > Re: [beemonitoring] Is Chelostoma philadelpi an introduced
                  > species?
                  >

                  > Sam: Your speculation that Chelostoma philadelphi is
                  > introduced is
                  > intriguing. However, China -Eastern North America is a
                  > classic pattern for
                  > Miocene plant (and other organismal) disjunctions.
                  > Chelostoma is a the
                  > base of the Osmiini (Praz et al, 2008, Molec. Phylog. Evol
                  > 49: 185-197) so
                  > presumably is old enough. C. philadelphi could be what was
                  > once a somewhat
                  > geographically restricted relict of a Miocene disjunction
                  > which greatly
                  > expanded its range with the widespread planting of an
                  > appropriate host
                  > plant (introduced mock orange). Many other bees have
                  > recently expanded
                  > their ranges with horticultural or weedy range expansions
                  > of their host
                  > plants.
                  >
                  > best
                  >
                  > Jack
                  >
                  > John L. Neff
                  > Central Texas Melittological Institute
                  > 7307 Running Rope
                  > Austin,TX 78731 USA
                  > 512-345-7219

                • John S. Ascher
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
                    Sam and Jack:

                    The diagnostic features of Chelostoma lamellum is illustrated in Wu's
                    recent book on Chinese Megachilidae along with another related species, C.
                    sublamellum. At present these are placed in subgenus Ceraheriades which
                    now includes five species. Thus C. lamellum is not even consubgeneric with
                    C. philadelphi and is clearly specifically distinct from C. philadelphi.

                    Macropis is a good example of a bee genus with centers of diversity in the
                    eastern USA and China.

                    Many bee genera have failed to speciate in the eastern USA and are absent
                    from much of the western USA, including most or all of the Rocky
                    Mountains, such as Augochlora, Melitoma, and Ptilothrix.

                    I've collected C. philadelphi primarily from planted mock orange, e.g., on
                    the Cornell U. campus. I agree with Jack's suggestion that it has greatly
                    expanded its range due to widespread planting of its host.

                    If anyone has Chelostoma specimens with pollen affixed I suggest that they
                    send these to Andreas Mueller so that he can identify the pollen source.

                    "I think a world-wide collecting trip of Mock Oranges is in
                    >> order here!"

                    I doubt that we have overlooked Prochelostoma species.

                    John

                    --
                    John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
                    Bee Database Project Manager