RE: Habropoda laboriosa nesting

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2008

      Charlie- the only published research on the nesting biology of Habropoda laboriosa is:

      Cane, J. H. 1994. Nesting biology and mating behavior of the Southeastern blueberry bee, Habropoda laboriosa (Hymenoptera: Apoidea). J. Kansas Entomol. Soc. 67:236-241.

      I found 4-5 aggregations in my time, not enough for firm conclusions about nesting preferences within sandy habitats.  Most were in forested places, the bees slipping under the leaf litter, their soil tumuli therefore hidden from view.  On a small blueberry farm, however, I found them nesting some in the rows and in the walls of planting holes.  The bees seemed very visual and inflexible in nest orientation.  Add or move a landmark during the spring nesting season, and females were baffled and ultimately gave up trying to find their nest.  Outside of the nesting season, of course, visual cues can be altered without harm.  I encourage folks to consider the pollination value of the bee (est. $20 in blueberries per female a decade ago) when thinking about altering their nearby nesting habitat.

      Yours,

      jim

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University , Logan , UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      "Embrace entropy"