RE: [beemonitoring] monitoring bee phenology with trap nests

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008

      Sam- I too rear trap nests through to adulthood, then take one of the early-emerging males to sacrifice for the ID, leaving me with the other males and all the females to fly.  If you have Osmia, they overwinter as adults anyway, which is handy, as you can dissect them right out of the cocoon.  For most other genera, your reward will be delayed, but they can be simply wintered at outdoor temps.  If you want them to then nest, leave them at ambient temps to emerge naturally in their season of flight.  If all will be sacrificed, then most will have satisfied their chill requirements by spring and can be brought indoors to emerge then.  The gel caps just help to keep everybody straight and avoid the need for individual containment of nest straws/sticks.  Also, you can write on the gel caps with Sharpies for whatever ID code system you are using.  You could just as easily use vials, they are simply more bulky, or as I think about it, crimped pieces of clear plastic straws.

      Yours,

      jim

      ===============================

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University , Logan , UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web page: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      "Embrace entropy"

    • Eric Mader
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008
        Jim,

        Your comments got me thinkingÂ…

        How widespread is parsivoltinism among megachilids?

        For those of us doing this kind of trap nesting, is there any easy
        (non-x-ray) way to distinguish dead cocoons from parsivoltine species
        (besides observing them over several seasons)?

        Thanks for your thoughts!

        -Eric

        On 9/2/08 11:36 AM, "Cane, Jim" <Jim.Cane@...> wrote:

[...]

        Pollinator Outreach Coordinator
        The Xerces Society
        PO Box 8833 Madison, WI, 53708 USA
        Tel: 608-628-4951 Fax: 503-233-6794
        Email: eric@...

        The Xerces Society is an international nonprofit organization that
        protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their
        habitat. To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our work,
        please visit www.xerces.org.