Large Mining Bee in WV

  • Joe Metzger
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2008
      Sam,

                I was at Harper's Ferry, WV a few weeks ago on August 9 and while I was walking in the area called Virginius Island, I noticed some (20-30) large (.75 - 1.00 inches) bees along the path in a very sandy area. The abdomen was colored (or had colored hairs) in concentric rings of black and white. I was in the area again about a week later and they were still there. I watched them more closely and noticed they had holes in the path and were entering or leaving them. I figured they were some species of mining bee and I went to the keys at Discover Life. I knew without a specimen that I wouldn't be able to identify them to species but I figured I might at least narrow the field down, maybe get a family or a genus.

                I tried to answer as many questions as I could but the things I knew weren't part of that level. Is there some way that things like Habitat, Range, Size, Flight Period and Nesting Habits could be added to the keys? I figure all these should eliminate a lot of the families and genera and move me closer to what it actually is.

                                                        Joe

      Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger. Find Out How